Semi Pan Automation

Hi all !

Is it possible to have a Semi pan automation on a track?

I would like to set up an Pan Automation on a very short part / region of a track while keeping the ability to use the pan on the mixer so that the automation will always be played (ex: 100% left) on the small part even if I have manually set the pan to center of right on the mixer for the rest of the track.

That way I would still able to easily manually pan the whole track, except the automated part.

Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

You could use “Touch” automation for this.

As long as you touch the controller you take control and modify it (writing new automation while doing so).
When you release, Ardour will jump back and follow previously recorded automation instead.

Thank you for your answer :slight_smile:
But as you say, " Ardour will jump back and follow previously recorded automation instead.".
I would like Ardour to switch back to Manual actually.

Actually I don’t think it’s possible to do that that way, it would require a “SemiAuto” mode that would allow to stay in Manual mode until (and after) there is an automation.

Automating the automation-mode itself would cause trouble in so many ways, I don’t even know where to start :thinking:

If you really must have manual control, I suggest to use two tracks and put the region with fixed panning on a 2nd track. Perhaps group the tracks if you need shared controls or route them through a bus if you need shared processing.

That’s exactly what have done to “fix” that.
Anyway thank you for your help !