Selecting fragments from several tracks

I have a couple of tracks that contain different takes of (a part of) a song. From these tracks I want to select the best parts to go into the final mix.

With some ASCII art:

Track 1: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Track 2: BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
Track 3: CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Result:  AAAAAAAABBBBBBBBAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAA

What would be the best way to do this?
I tried using the envelope editor to silence the parts I do not want. I also tried copying the wanted fragments one by one to a new track. But either way is tedious and error prone.
Is there a better way to do this?

One possible way of doing this is to combine regions from a track to a big new region. Then you can move / copy that big region to a new track and uncombine it which gets you the original regions.

Regions can be combined across empty space and across tracks: Copy > Paste & Replace?

This process is called “comping” https://discourse.ardour.org/search?q=comping%20workflow

tl;dr: The best option is likely stacked region layers on a single track. Cut parts as needed and move them to the top (crossfades are added automatically).

You can use “Lock” edit mode, that prevents movement of regions on the time-axis, or use constrained drag (shift + left-click drag/drop, locks the first drag direction).

1 Like

Also just dragging with the middle mouse button which prevents moving in time.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips!

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.