Save as new projektname

I use Ardour 5.12.0. I made a session with four tracks, got a nice Reverb-Bus, and made the stereo-pan things in the mixer named the tracks with “guitar, akkordeon, solo, shaker”. Then saved the project with a name like: " song1". After this i saved the project to a different name (“song2”) using “save as” deleted the audio files in the tracks and replaced them with 4 different new audio files, and saved again. i continued this prozess until i had about 7 different songs with the same Reverb and Mixer settings. cleaned up all the sessions so there are not all unused files in every session. when i opened the projects next day everything was messed up. the project: “song1” was using the audio files of “song2”. Project “Song2” came up with the audiofiles of song3. For me this doesnt make sense at all.

Hi and welcome!

When I just tried this using Ardour 6.2 (binary from this site), when I rename song1 to song2, it creates a completely separate folder in the root directory of my “audio” drive. Cleaning up any unused files should only move the media files into the dead sounds/ folder unltil you “flush the wastebasket” and only for that interchange folder connected with the session.

Note also (in 6.2, at least) there are options in the “save as…” dialog for “newly-saved session should be empty” and the ability to untick “copy media to new session”.

Is there a reason why you’ve used save-as, instead of not snapshots?

It sounds like @vitus.motreskou is creating different songs using the same template, i.e. not snapshots of the same song after various mixer changes and edits.

yes, thats exactly what i was trying to do.

Not really i have never tried snapshots before, but as @anon60445789 said i was not trying to make many versions of one song. But to make different songs with different audios, using the settings of the first session like a template.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.