Ruler lines in v7

I know that v7 is not ready yet and requests are prohibited, but…

Can you please bring back the lines between Meter/Tempo/Markers rulers, maybe as an option? Please… I really like these lines. :frowning: Maybe it’s not too late yet to give us an option.

Can you elaborate? Which rulers or lines are missing?

Black horizontal lines between Meter/Tempo/Markers in the upper section of the Editor.

V6:

V7:

They were intentionally removed to reduce visual clutter and instead rulers now highlight when you hover over them.

There is currently no preference to optionally show them.

1 Like

:cry:
I really liked them…

I had not even noticed that they were removed and had to check the git-log and ask the developer who removed them…

I suppose we could make it a GUI preference to show them on demand, or make them themeable (with the default being transparent, invisible). I’ll have to check how much work that would be.

1 Like

Reduce visual clutter !!! Demarcation lines between UI elements is not visual clutter - it actually helps you see WTF is going on! Is a spreadsheet less cluttered because you remove all the lines between the cells!

1 Like

As opposed to a spreadsheet, markers on different lanes have different shape and color.
In the mini-timeline they are even displayed on the same row.

Anyway I don’t have a strong opinion on this one. It might make sense to separate different types (time/tempo related, location related, video related) of rulers.

When you look at the right-side of the screen, 6+ close separator lines are likely not helpful by themselves without the eye moving back to the left.

Right, the markers might, but having them all scattered across a sea of grey with no borders giving visual cues as to which lane they might be on is more the point.

Maybe using a lighter colour (dark grey) instead of black, as a border, might not look too distracting. And/or striping each lane with an alternate lighter grey colour would help guide the eye.

2 Likes

In V6 under – Preference-Appearance-Colors some items like “marker bar”, “marker bar seperator” and “range marker bar” had choosable colors.
That is (was?) very convenient. Dio I understand correctly that these preferences are removed too?
These already gave the possibility to reduce visual clutter.

A few months ago, I added the ability for the mouse to ‘highlight’ the ruler when you mouse-over it. This allows you to follow the highlight to the left and right to see the header and markers associated with that ruler lane. This was a big improvement … roll back to a prior version and you’ll certainly miss it.

I removed the 1-pixel separator lines because I felt they generated unnecessary noise and imho gave ardour a ‘dated’ look compared to cleaner/newer UIs.

If that bothers you, I apologize. But someone has to make these decisions as best they can. It is not practical to make (and test, and document, and support) a configuration option to revert every gui change to its prior state.

I believe it is still possible to theme each ruler lane with a different color, if you want to separate them that way. (look for “meter bar”, “marker bar” etc)

(edit) as a final thought, I’ll point out that there’s a natural separation between the ‘clock’ rulers and the rulers below. There’s a natural separation of the BBT rulers (due to the tempo-line) and the rulers below. Considering that few users will use the CD ruler these days, and those that do probably won’t use the Cue lane, you’ll likely have 4 or fewer lanes to differentiate. What I saw was: the theme-creator makes nice graduated ruler lane colors, and then the user picks arbitrary lanes and any aesthetic effect was lost.

-Ben

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.