Rock Track "Ça doit être mon petit côté"

Hi friends

New pre released track here :smiley:

I used CrocellKit Drumkit (@slash :wink: ) and AirWindows Cabs plugin :smile:

The result sounds pretty good to me, :thinking: I wonder if I should add deEss to voice (the voice tracks are not normalized, and maybe that should be useful…)

Plugins used in this session:

CNT | TYPE | NAME
9 * LV2 x42-comp - Dynamic Compressor Stereo (by Robin Gareus)
9 * Lua ACE High/Low Pass Filter (by Ardour Community)
2 * LV2 Dragonfly Hall Reverb (by Michael Willis and Rob vd Berg)
1 * LV2 Dragonfly Plate Reverb (by Michael Willis)
1 * LV2 Stereo Balance Control (by Robin Gareus)
3 * VST2 Cabs (by airwindows)
1 * LV2 GxChorus-Stereo (by Guitarix team)
3 * LV2 ACE Compressor (stereo) (by Ardour Community)
1 * LV2 DrumGizmo (by DrumGizmo Team)
2 * LV2 x42-dpl - Digital Peak Limiter Stereo (by Robin Gareus)
9 * LV2 ACE Expander (stereo) (by Ardour Community)
5 * LV2 Calf Saturator (by Calf Studio Gear)
16 * LV2 x42-eq - Parametric Equalizer Stereo (by Robin Gareus)

Feel free to comment :smile:

2 Likes

Regarding the CrocellKit:
I don’t see it in the screenshot, but just keep sure to do those “basic” things first always:

• phase invert “Snare bottom” and “OH right” (otherwise the Snare loses some punch)
  • trim down “OH right” by -4dB (compared to “OH left”)

Then the stage is set for the basic/static mix. :slight_smile:

Regarding your song:

• In my opinion the guitars are a bit too loud and therefore they push back the vocals.
  • deEss: doesn’t need much, I think, because I heard only few words where the ‘s’ sound was jumping out a little bit too much.
  • normalizing tracks: you “normally” don’t need to “normalize” tracks (word play, heh :wink: )
    • recordings should have a peak level far below 0dB. They should always have enough headroom to definitely never clip during the recording and later during plugin processing.
    • If such a track seems too quiet in the mix, then other tracks might just be too loud. Use the gain knob on the top right side of each mixer strip to trim them down
    • Try to aim the basic mix in a way to stay around the green area in the Master level meter. Then there’s even more than enough headroom for mastering.

Hey, good job.
I also think that guitars are little bit to much upfront, and maybe ( imho) a little bit too « strong in the high mids », (don’t know if it is around 500hz or 800? Or maybe elsewhere).
I think we all make the same kind of recipe, we hide the voice behind the instruments, and when we put instruments down, often, one hides the voice with reverb.
Anyway it grooves and it made me happy to listen to your tune.
Bravo et merci

I feel like the track is too compressed overall. It could use a bit more dynamics in between verse vs. chorus. It might be because of your compressor on the guitar bus ? I can feel them going up at the end of the chorus, so they really tend to bury the voice and by contrast they don’t stand up in the chorus.
Also the voice could be a bit more energetic during the chorus. It feels like you can’t really push it where you’re recording (thin walls ?), or maybe you don’t feel confident enough to push it a bit more (i don’t have any vocal training at all, no judgement here!).
The drums need a more human touch, a bit of randomizing on the velocity of the snare, cymbals and shuffle ?

Hey :grin:

Thanks a lot to @slash , @olivmusic and @baptiste !!!

I’m trying try to take all your good advices into accounts :smiley:

Here is the WIP version : Stream CaDoitEtreMonPetitCote WIP 01 by sebpcspkr | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

Hey again!

This one is for @baptiste (with a new voice record)

:grin:

1 Like

I feel it’s more energetic when going to the chorus ! I guess you can extract more juice from the guitars for the chorus and better blend the voice. The new voice makes a great difference, good job ! Also the cymbals sound weird on the chorus (1 and 2 min marks), they’re really washed out. Are these the crash cymbals ? Are they compressed by the kick or something ?

To me it sounds like the “stop” variant of the cymbals and that probably makes it sound like they are pushed away by the kick. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, this is :grin:
https://drumgizmo.org/kits/CrocellKit/CrocellKit-Reaper_notes.txt

It’s the Crash_L_Stop :wink:

Hi friends !

Final track on soundcloud there :

I tried to make it simplier (less compressions, less cabs effects, less ACE Expander ) in the mix part and I changed the drum part for the chorus :grin:

Plugins used in this session:

CNT | TYPE | NAME
3 * LV2 Calf Saturator (by Calf Studio Gear)
11 * Lua ACE High/Low Pass Filter (by Ardour Community)
1 * LV2 DrumGizmo (by DrumGizmo Team)
4 * LV2 x42-dpl - Digital Peak Limiter Stereo (by Robin Gareus)
1 * LV2 Calf Bass Enhancer (by Calf Studio Gear)
13 * LV2 x42-eq - Parametric Equalizer Stereo (by Robin Gareus)
2 * LV2 Stereo Balance Control (by Robin Gareus)
1 * LV2 Dragonfly Plate Reverb (by Michael Willis)
12 * LV2 x42-comp - Dynamic Compressor Stereo (by Robin Gareus)
4 * LV2 ACE Compressor (stereo) (by Ardour Community)
1 * LV2 GxChorus-Stereo (by Guitarix team)
3 * LV2 Dragonfly Hall Reverb (by Michael Willis and Rob vd Berg)
1 * VST2 DeBess (by airwindows)
3 * VST2 Cabs (by airwindows)
4 * LV2 ACE Expander (stereo) (by Ardour Community)

Have a good day and feel free to comment !