Release Plans for Ardour 3.0

there will no more betas. the next release will be an “rc” (release candidate) made available to subscribers.

i will release what i believe is the final packaging of 3.0 to subscribers first.

the GTK bug i was waiting to be fixed is now fixed, meaning that the remaining obstacle in releasing 3.0 is getting the new website finished. hopefully a matter of a few days.

hi paul, I just subscribed, is the “rc” already available somewhere for subscribers?

Are there some news on when Ardour 3.0 final will be released? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the response, Paul. I’ll certainly embrace this idea. One last question on this then. When I was installing A3, I noticed that it asked me whether I wanted to uninstall the old 2.8.X version. So if I want to keep with the last version of Ardour every update, I’d have to ask it to remove the other one?

While true Paul, on the other hand there is a feeling of ‘if it iain’t broke don’t fix it’, and this applies strongly in our field, even more so in live sound, but even in the studio. A lot of this comes down to updates may break something subtly in how your particualr workflow is and you don’t want to change it. Not saying it is good or bad, but I am saying it can be an intentional choice not to upgrade as well, particularly if 99.999% of those bugs don’t affect the user in question:)

Seablade

I’m okay with having this new model, but I don’t see how this will happen in practice. I mean, will we have to download something every once in a while and install it? Will the updates be prompted to us within Ardour? I’m sorry if this was already discussed in another thread.

I’ve just downloaded the A3 beta to give it a try and… although small, design changes will definitely improve my experience and menus seem a lot more intuitive to me. Can’t wait to test it further!

each release will be a new version that you can parallel install with whatever existing versions you have. if you are happy with 3.89 and 3.90 comes out, you can have both installed and use both for as long as you want to. i would just like to see people embrace the idea that they will be upgrading continually over time - way too many audio engineers that i’ve seen get stuck on a particular version of their preferred software, long after the most irritating bugs (for them) have been fixed in current releases.

Great News! Can’t wait for 3.0.