Recovering Plugin Settings when a 'Stub' is used

Waves is not working well for some reason. Plugins are working. Session is saved. After reload, Waves plugins are replaced with stubs. I did a rescan and I will see if that solves the recurring issue . It likely will, but after rescan, stubs remain.

Is there a way to recover the plugin settings that were used with a plugin that was replaced with a stub ?

Did you update to Waves 15?

Only 1 plugin that was not being used was updated to V15. So, I did ‘update’ but all my other plugins are V10-V14 I don’t know how that Waves Shell works, it scanned several different versions. This also did happen on SSL ChannelStrip V2(iLok) and a Brainworxs plugin in this project as well. Two of these ‘stubs’ were drag n’drop copies from one track to another, which has cause issues before. But a majority of the plugins were selected with the plugin selector.

I have had this happen twice this week on Ardour 8.6 downloaded from here using Win 10. Previous attempts at debug output on plugins have not been productive.

I ask because we have seen several reports from Mixbus users and also users of other DAWs about problems with Waves plugins after the v15 upgrade/update.

Some of those problems have been solved by a complete plugin rescan.

Window > Plugin Manager … Rescan, and then reload the session.

(or alternatively enable Preferences > Plugins > Always scan for new/updated plugins at application start)

@x42 After the stubs appeared, I did a full rescan & reload. The stubs remained after reload, even though the plugins were available when using the plugin selecter , and back in the favorites.

@Paul I was suprised to see stubs for the bx and ssl plugins, as those have not been updated for about a year. SSL is iLok , bx is not.

iLok recently had some major server "update’ a few weeks ago. I don’t know if that is a contributing factor, but other daws on my system had slight issues with iLok plugins.

If and when this happens again , are the settings for the plugin stored somehwere? Can they be copied & pasted, or the ID updated ?

No problems so far after full rescan.

I assume you mean the scan results?

Yes, in Ardour’s “Cache” folder.

• Linux ~/.cache/ardour8
  • macOS: ~/Library/Caches/Ardour8
  • Windows %localappdata%\ardour8\cache

(Ardour compares the cache file modification time with that of the plugin to detect if a rescan for a given plugin is required).

I guess in your case however the issue was that waves 15 is installed in a new location, and Arodur still had cached references to waves 14 for plugins with the same ID. So a full rescan was required.

No. I was hoping to recover the actual settings on the individual plug in . Delay, feedback, dry /wet mix for example. I had spent about 15 mins per plugin adjusting them to sound good to me.

I will note that I did notice an iLok authorized or Softtube plugin also became a stub. I did not add that information to this discussion after the rescan fixed it.

My best guess it was some sort of authorization issue. Possibly an internet outage of sorts. I think that was going on that day, but I was unable to verify.

I have not encountered this problem since a rescan.

I was hoping to find an editable config file, change the old plugin ID to the new ID, it would hopefully work, and retain the vst settings.

Would a Lua script be able to do that ?

Maybe clicking on a stub could do a semi automated relinking ?

I doubt that. Plugin IDs change for a reason, usually to indicate that they are not compatible.

It is also highly unusual for a VST2/3 plugin ID of the same plugin to change, and in those cases it is usually possible to keep both versions around.

After the rescan the stubs did not disappear, they stayed. The SSL plugins were not updated or changed. In my oroginal post, the same for the brainworxs plugins. All of these have a type of online authorization that occurs.

Why would the stub not link back up after rescan ?

after rescan and reload of the session.

Yes. If I recall correctly , I had to redo all plugin settings on those affected.