Recording with plugin processing

Studio 1 has this cool thing: Input tracks where you can place plugins and they are recorded with the signal, completely wet.

Would be a cool thing:)

We don’t think it’s cool. We might add something like that one day, where you can move the point at which the signal does to disk. You can’t do that now. What you can do is to have your input arrive via a bus with plugins on it, then connect the bus output to a track. This also clarifies what is supposed to happen on playback too …

Yes:) I know you can do it with routing and busses.
I might have understood your “we dont think its cool” wrong, but it was just a suggestion for future implementation… Maybe i’m just very thin skinned/thick headed, though.
I’m really starting to like arudour 5.0!

It’s a cool thing until you record a bunch of other tracks and realize that the settings you first picked aren’t so great anymore, but you can’t easily change them because you committed the wet signal to disk instead of recording dry so you could pick the best settings during mix down. It would be like going back to 1960’s era equipment where you had to do inconvenient things because you couldn’t afford enough tape tracks, or enough mixer channels, or enough outboard equipment. If you like working that way, for example you find the limits focus your creativity, then just setup four tracks with the plugins you want and never touch the settings after your record the track. It will be like a virtual four track recorder. :slight_smile:
If you have an old computer that can’t handle the processing load you can either increase the size of the buffers, or bounce down tracks with the processing when you hit the DSP limits.

I have worked with a bunch of outboard and also uads mixer and sometimes I just prefer recording my stuff “wet”.
It’s just a feature you can use if you want, that’s all:) but I guess this is pretty far away in the future for ardor, which is ok. It’s not a deal breaker at all. It would just be a nice feature in my book:)

Without looking at the plugin settings, how would you tell the difference between a track recorded with the effects applied, and a track recorded dry but with the effect you wanted always enabled? It seems to me that is more of a workflow difference than a feature difference (except for the cases where you are running out of processing time due to the number of plugins active). It’s not like a plugin active on one track can’t be used on a different track, so it is not equivalent to the physical case of one effects device in use cannot be used anywhere else. Just put the plugin you want inline and pretend that when the track is playing back the plugin is really gone and the the track is recorded that way.

And if you don’t want to burn the CPU, then right click on the track and Freeze it. This re-renders the track with processing applied, replaces the track contents with that new rendering and disables all plugins. You can “unfreeze” it later if you want to do so.

It is 90 % a workflow thing. and 10% a cpu saving thing. I like comitting to some things in the beginning.
I pretty much always end up having a hi freq boost, low cut, and a bit of comp on vocals, for instance. If I can do that on the way in, its simply just easier (and more fun) for me. I am completely aware of all the technical aspects/workarounds (I have been recording stuff for many years, and make a living doing sound design). It’s just a very cool feature in my book. The same thing with an electric DI guitar. But i guess we will just have to agree to disagree:)

It can have its charme to work like this, in a way you choose not to return later and change settings, like burning bridges. You make the recorded material as is rule the way.
Completely legitimate technique for an artist. But I would(and do) prefere to record such material from a standalone instrument/host most of the time Carla or Guitarix. Their wet signals get recorded in Ardour and I have to cope with them as they come in. Sometimes I even close the standalone after recording whithout saving the setups before. Next time I want to record something like this, I have to set it up anew and thus are in little danger to record the very same sounds again and again…
And the CPU-usage of Ardour is as low as possible, because I do not need any plugins in ardour to get my wet sound and I dont start the standalones when mixing…
I avoid using Reverb in such scenarios though… most of the time.

Coolness:)