Recording specifics

Hello

I have to do vocal exercises because of surgery on and around my vocal chords

I’ll have to be able to measure different parts of my voice individually to regain strengths properly

and I don’t want to use proprietary stuff to do it

Am I in the right place here to ask these questions?

Today I bought a marantz mpm1000 but I don’t know what audio interface to get. Someone recommended me the mtrack solo but it comes with some software suite which is always a bad sign

Can I use Ardour with these or other devices to develop my voice?

Thank you

Hi and welcome!

I personally have no experience with audio interfaces in that price range… But it should work OK… (Of course, there are a dozen variables and questions about audio equipment - what computer and operating system do you use etc…)

What exactly do you need to record and measure?

MTrack Solo should work fine. A Focusrite Scarlett Solo or 2i2 would be a similar device which also is known to work well. The small PreSonus interfaces are another good choice, or even a Behringer U-Phoria.

Almost all do, it is more of an advertising path for the software suite than anything. Usually the software is a limited version of a more full featured available software, and the vendor hopes that giving away a limited version will entice some people to purchase the full version. It can just be ignored.

Ardour (really any audio software) relies on the operating system to provide the necessary services to work with a particular interface, so the first question would be what operating system do you intend to use?

Ardour is a general recording and editing software, so depending on exactly how you want to use recordings of your voice a more limited but simpler software like Audacity might be more appropriate to start.

1 Like

The Behringer UMC204HD is a good choice for a simple audio interface that is reasonably priced, has phantom power for your condenser microphone, and will capture quality recordings. It is compatible with all operating systems and is fully-controlled by the hardware, i.e. no additional software is needed other than the [optional but recommended] ASIO driver for Windows. It is fully functional on Linux and Mac out-of-the-box. I have owned a UMC1820, which is the same product line with more inputs and outputs, since 2017 or so and am still very pleased with it today,

I owned a device similar to the M-Track Solo years ago, and one thing I didn’t like about it was direct monitoring only produced sound in the left channel for input 1 and the right channel for input 2. The UMC204HD has a “Stereo/Mono” switch on it, so if you are only using one input, so you can have it present in both L and R channels while monitoring direct by switching to “Mono”.

thanks for all the awesome replies

Well because of the surgery my voice will probably get deeper and lower and I will have to measure different kinds of resonance for example. Controlling the muscles in my throat will let me train back into my original voice, there’s all sorts of voice properties and qualities that have weird names. I don’t know all that much about it yet, will have to receive more instructions before I could really answer that

Phew, good to know. I’m fairly sure I’ll figure out Ardour. I have opensuse on my laptop

You’ve got me considering. It does seem like it’d last me longer

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.