Recording Boss Katana via USB

I bought a Boss Kathana MK 50 II guitar amplifier.

It has a USB output that can supposedly also be used to record the sound on the computer with suitable software.

Jack recognises the amp, it is also available in Ardour as an input signal in a MIDI track (which actually makes no sense), but I would like to record the audio signal via USB. Is this somehow possible with Ardour? How?

It should show up as a device in the Ardour Audio setup. Set it up as the input device. Make sure you are using ALSA . It would likley be the easiest setup.

I have used a Boss GT-1B just fine.

The MIDI is likely for preset programming with Katana Software.

Which operating system? If using linux show the output of the arecord -l command.

Do you already have an output device selected? By default jackd (and Ardour) will use the selected audio device for input and output. If you have a separate device that you also want to use as an input device you have to do a little extra. For jackd you have to look at loading the zita resampling driver (was a separate zita-a2j program, recent versions of jackd include that feature in jackd).
I believe recent Ardour versions have that feature as well, but I cannot find a page in the manual to reference. Maybe poke around in the audio/midi setup window and see if there is an advance menu that provides an option to select a second audio device.

[edit] Maybe the way Ardour implemented that was to let you pick different input and output devices. Does the Audio/MIDI setup window allow you to pick whatever device you want for listening, and then select the Katana for input? Using jackd is a little more flexible in that regard, with the j2a feature you can have multiple input devices and multiple output devices, but that that is probably more complex than you would need to deal with.

The Katana should be recognised and appear as 4 channels with a MIDI.

Takashi Iwai spent a fair bit of effort, a few years ago, trying to get the Roland/Boss kit working with ALSA. I did a lot of testing of his patches with a bunch of Roland/Boss kit to support that, including a MK1 Katana, a GT-1, a JS-8, a GT-001 and some others: [PATCH 00/41] USB audio refactoring for better implicit feedback support - Alsa-devel - mailman.alsa-project.org

As @Schmitty2005 suggests, the MIDI is for programming with the app. You could, potentially, use this to turn on and off effects on the amp by putting the appropriate MIDI data into a MIDI track, it I’m not sure why you would want to do this. It’s probably best ignored.

As I said, the Katana presents 4 audio channels (4 in and 4 out). These are used as follows:

Capture channels 1 & 2 are stereo left/right of the effected signal. This is what you would normally record.

Capture channels 3 & 4 are the “dry” (uneffected) guitar sound. It’s a stereo pair but, due to no effects being applied, both channels are the same.

Some people like to record this so they can change the effects at a later date.

Playback channels 1 & 2 are the “dry” playback, so no effects are added to the signal played back here. Note that this signal does not play back on the Katana speaker, but can be heard through headphones.

Playback channels 3 & 4 are the “wet” playback, so effects are applied. You can use this, for instance, to re-amp the dry signal.

My suggestion is to use ALSA. You should then be able to create a stereo track with inputs 1 and 2 to record

Connect the master out to outputs 1 & 2 and you should be able to hear the playback through headphones connected to the Katana.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Okay, wenn ich ALSA nutze, bekomme ich ein Signal.
Allerdings habe ich dann das Problem, dass mein USB-Interface, an dem die Monitor-Lautsprecher hängen (Mackie Onxy 2-2) nicht mehr funktioniert. Ich habe also kein Playback, ich kann mit der Gitarre nicht dazu spielen.

Ist es nicht möglich, das System so zu konfigurieren, dass zwei USB-Quellen verfügbar sind (in meinem Fall USB-Interface und USB-Katana)?

Yes, this is by design as USB interfaces can’t be properly clock-synced and that can cause audio glitches.

So, just like ASIO on Windows, ALSA normally only let’s you use one audio device at a time.

To use multiple devices, you are best to either use Pipewire with the Jack driver (if your distro supports it) or use the setup suggested by @ccaudle

If it’s an Ubuntu based distro, you may want to check out the kxaudio repository as this includes a bunch of tools that make the setup of Jack a lot easier.

Cheers,

Keith

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.