Record a USB mic with Linux?

I’m using Linux Mint7 (Ubuntu Jaunty based). The OS has seemed to pick up my new USB mic like this…

and i’ve selected hw:0 C-1U in the Interface field of JACK’s settings.

I’m getting this error though when I try and start JACK…

Could not connect to JACK server as client.

• Overall operation failed.
  • Unable to connect to server.
    Please check the messages window for more info.

The messages window reads…

17:51:35.595 Patchbay deactivated.
17:51:36.112 Statistics reset.
17:51:36.169 ALSA connection graph change.
17:51:36.676 ALSA connection change.
17:51:51.649 Startup script…
17:51:51.650 artsshell -q terminate
sh: artsshell: not found
17:51:52.078 Startup script terminated with exit status=32512.
17:51:52.080 JACK is starting…
17:51:52.082 /usr/bin/jackd -R -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p1024 -n3
17:51:52.149 JACK was started with PID=9571.
no message buffer overruns
jackd 0.116.1
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for thread -1211864320, from thread -1211864320] (1: Operation not permitted)
cannot create engine
17:51:52.467 JACK was stopped successfully.
17:51:52.468 Post-shutdown script…
17:51:52.470 killall jackd
jackd: no process killed
17:51:52.904 Post-shutdown script terminated with exit status=256.
17:51:54.376 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks Paul for clearing up the technical terms. Peder has spotted that I needed to remove the @ since I don’t have any groups set up. Lets see how it goes.

Edit:
The mic is working now (it was the @group issue). True enough, trying to record with 2 interfaces running simultaneously, sucks.

From Linux POV the USB mic is considered a soundcard (with no output).

Did you log out and in after editing limits.conf?
Oh, and the @ symbol is followed by a group name so if you don’t have a group that’s called leke it won’t work.
Remove the @ and it’ll work as your user.

The “best” way is usually to start Jack first using QJackCtl, that way you can manipulate the Jack parameters easily, and then start Ardour.

I generally try to use the term “audio interface” instead of sound card, precisely to avoid this kind of confusion.

Your USB mic is is an audio interface - if you want to do things this way, you need to give JACK separate devices for input (capture) and output (playback), which qjackctl allows you to do. However, as noted above, this is not the right way to record music - you should be using a single device that handles playback and capture simultaneously. You can probably make it work adequately as long as your goals are not too complex.

This is not a problem that lends itself to diagnosis and help on a web forum. I suggest you get on our IRC channel (see the support page and get live assistance (probably) from one or more of the people there (possibly including me)

Thanks for your reply.
I’m a little confused. I’m not using 2 sound cards. One USB mic and one soundcard (or do you class the mic as a sound card then?).

Reading the link paul suggested, I added…
@leke - rtprio 99
@leke - memlock unlimited
to the /etc/security/limits.conf file replacing @audio with my username and got this error starting Ardour (after starting JACK (which kinda locked up))…

Ardour could not start JACK
There are several possible reasons:

1. You requested audio parameters that are not supported…
  2. JACK is running as another user.

Please consider the possibilities, and perhaps try different parameters.

apart from reading up on jackaudio.org, a paul suggests, it’s worth remembering that using card a for recording (be it usb or whatever) and card b for playback will not work for bi-directional “playback during recording” kind of work.

that’s because the 2 sample rates won’t be locked but drift apart over time. Some 1337 hackers have taken their soldering irons to their multiple soundblaster’s quarz clocks, but that’s no general solution.

Jack works with ONE sound card at a time. Thus, USB mics are not so hot with ardour unless you just record for hours, and then shut jack down, re-connect to ther “output” card and do your mix.

your current problem has nothing to do with your USB mic.

http://jackaudio.org/FAQ

Your problem is “cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for thread -1211864320, from thread -1211864320] (1: Operation not permitted) cannot create engine”
meaning that you’re trying to run Jack with realtime permissions, which you don’t have.

Either configure RT for your user or run Jack without RT.

Hi guys, quick update…
I’ve just managed to get it working with Audacity using C-1U as input. In JACK’s settings, I also tried to select my mic as the input device and the soundcard as the output device, but that didn’t work either.