Questions about Ardour 6 on Raspberry Pi

I just found there is an official build but I have not found yet any documentation so I decided to throw a few questions, I wonder if the Ardour Developers can share their comments.

• Is Raspbian just fine or would you recommend any other distro?
  • Suggestions on linux/distro settings to improve performance?
  • Is jack required? Will the Ardour installer take care of installing jack or is there a doc on how to installing it on a Raspberry Pi before Ardour?
  • I think I won’t use any plugins with Ardour rigth now in a raspberry pi but what can be expected about using plugins both built in and 3rd party right now?

Thanks in advance.

It’s fine – unless you need very low latency (in which case you need a realtime kernel).

No, and you’re better off without JACK (unless you have a specific need for it).

Yes the installer asks, and can run apt-get.. for you. – Installing jack is the easiest way to setup real-time permissions for your user. So even if you don’t use jack, installing the jackd package is convenient.

Just like any debian sysem: sudo apt-get install jackd2
To change realtime-permissions later (in case jack was installed without those): sudo dpkg-reconfigure -p high jackd2 then re-login (or reboot).

It’s not too bad. For most plugin GUIs you will have to enable the openGL driver on the PI, but DSP works surprisingly well. Since it’s debian-based you can also get a lot of plugins:

sudo apt-get install zam-plugins x42-plugins eq10q ir.lv2 setbfree swh-lv2 guitarix-lv2

…and more. Keep in mind that the plugins must be compiled for ARM CPUs.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.