Query about bar subdivisions

In summary, whilst I see how bars are divided up by the grid in a “binary” way - halves, quarters, eights etc - I can’t get a grid showing thirds, sixths etc.

I have a project in 4/4 time and I’m looking at the dropdown to the right of the Snap button. The choices of bar, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 make perfect sense to me. But when I try the triplet options - 1/3, 1/6, 1/12, 1/24 - they don’t seem to work. The attached pics show the grid not changing between 1/8 and 1/8 triplet. I was expecting the grid to divide each of the four beats of the bar into three.

Similarly 1/16 triplets result in 4 divisions per beat, just like straight 1/16. Shouldn’t this be 6 divs per beat?

I had a look in the reference manual but didn’t spot anything about this, sorry if I missed it.

This is with Ardour 8.2 official and Ubuntu 22.04

Andrew

While the grid may not change, the snap will change. It will snap to triplets. You may have to zoom as well. It would be nice if the grid would change.

Ok thanks, I didn’t try the snap. In my case, I wanted to see how accurately placed the sounds were, so I was interested in the grid.

Ardour Nightly build now has grid lines for triplets, quintuplets, and septuplets when those snaps are selected!

@jean-emmanuel Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

1 Like

Yes, many thanks @jean-emmanuel . I’ll try the nightly.

You’re welcome, I’m glad I could contribute to this awesome project! Note that suptuplets required a deeper fix (including snap) and are actually disabled for now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.