Push2 - first looking good, than failing

Hi, I’m new to ardour and just exploring it.
Using the subscription version downloaded here from Ardour.org, version 8.2.0, on Ubuntu 23.10

I was quite happy to see I can use my Ableton push2, and at first it started immediately and looked good.
I mainly need the mixing function while recording jams with synthesizers/drum machines.

But from one second to the other the screen turned black while pads kept being lit, and it didn’t do anything anymore.

Turning it off and on again, i could re-enable it, but had to select the midi ports again.
But this kept happening again and again.

Any ideas what I can look for to get that fixed?

Let me know if and which information I could provide to find answers and solutions…

you’re going to want to specify what version of Ardour you are using, and if you downloaded from the Ardour team or the ubuntu repos. Right off the bat, the latter might not work as well and you might not get relevant support as the team here only officially supports their own package.
In the meantime, launch Ardour from the terminal so that we can see if there are errors being printed that might give us a clue as to what’s going on. The Push 2 should be working fine with Linux at this point…

also, if you check the portion of this page titles “Connecting the Push 2” it looks like you may have to make sure you are in the audio group. Have you done that yet?

thank you - you’re right, I just wrote “subscription version” but not the actual number, added that :wink:

And yes I did everything that’s there in the manual. I guess otherwise it would not work at all, but it actually works for a while and then at some point stops…

I also tried the idea of running Ardour on the console, but while trying to enable push, I was surprised to see only one Push Midi Port despite yesterday there were 2, then I looked at Jack midi ports, there they had strange names, different from yesterday.
So I disabled the push again in settings, in order top completely reboot the computer once to start in a clean state.
But after disabling push, the whole ardour was freezing, and a minute later that I waited to see if it will become reactive again, it crashed completely.

Console output was this:

$ Ardour8 
Ardour8.2.0 (built using 8.2 and GCC version 6.3.0 20170516)
Ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Ardour to 1048576 open files
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /opt/Ardour-8.2.0/etc/system_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading user configuration file /home/henning/.config/ardour8/config
Ardour: [INFO]: CPU vendor: GenuineIntel
Ardour: [INFO]: AVX capable processor
Ardour: [INFO]: AVX with FMA capable processor
Ardour: [INFO]: CPU brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7500T CPU @ 2.70GHz
Ardour: [INFO]: Using AVX and FMA optimized routines
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading plugin meta data file /opt/Ardour-8.2.0/share/plugin_metadata/plugin_tags
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading plugin statistics file /home/henning/.config/ardour8/plugin_metadata/plugin_stats
Ardour: [INFO]: add_lrdf_data '/home/henning/.config/ardour8/rdf:/opt/Ardour-8.2.0/share/rdf:/usr/local/share/ladspa/rdf:/usr/share/ladspa/rdf'
Ardour: [INFO]: read rdf_file 'file:///usr/share/ladspa/rdf/swh-aux.rdf'
Ardour: [INFO]: read rdf_file 'file:///usr/share/ladspa/rdf/swh-scales.rdf'
Ardour: [INFO]: read rdf_file 'file:///usr/share/ladspa/rdf/swh-plugins.rdf'
Ardour: [INFO]: read rdf_file 'file:///usr/share/ladspa/rdf/ladspa.rdfs'
Cannot xinstall SIGPIPE error handler
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading 457 MIDI patches from /opt/Ardour-8.2.0/share/patchfiles
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-8.2.0/etc/default_ui_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading user ui configuration file /home/henning/.config/ardour8/ui_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading color file /opt/Ardour-8.2.0/share/themes/dark-ardour.colors
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-8.2.0/etc/clearlooks.rc
start clocking
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading bindings from /opt/Ardour-8.2.0/etc/ardour.keys
Loading ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-8.2.0/etc/clearlooks.rc

(ardour-8.2.0:59424): Gtk-WARNING **: 00:11:50.547: Theme directory places/128 of theme ubuntustudio-dark has no size field

(ardour-8.2.0:59424): Gtk-WARNING **: 00:11:50.547: Theme directory places/scalable of theme ubuntustudio-dark has no size field

Found nothing along /home/henning/.config/ardour8/templates:/opt/Ardour-8.2.0/share/templates
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: Duplicate plugin <urn:ardour:a-delay>
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... found in file:///opt/Ardour-8.2.0/lib/LV2/a-delay.lv2/
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... and      file:///usr/lib/lv2/a-delay.lv2/ (ignored)
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: Duplicate plugin <urn:ardour:a-comp>
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... found in file:///opt/Ardour-8.2.0/lib/LV2/a-comp.lv2/
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... and      file:///usr/lib/lv2/a-comp.lv2/ (ignored)
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: Duplicate plugin <urn:ardour:a-comp#stereo>
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... found in file:///opt/Ardour-8.2.0/lib/LV2/a-comp.lv2/
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... and      file:///usr/lib/lv2/a-comp.lv2/ (ignored)
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: Duplicate plugin <https://community.ardour.org/node/7596>
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... found in file:///opt/Ardour-8.2.0/lib/LV2/reasonablesynth.lv2/
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... and      file:///usr/lib/lv2/reasonablesynth.lv2/ (ignored)
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: Duplicate plugin <urn:ardour:a-eq>
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... found in file:///opt/Ardour-8.2.0/lib/LV2/a-eq.lv2/
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... and      file:///usr/lib/lv2/a-eq.lv2/ (ignored)
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: Duplicate plugin <urn:ardour:a-fluidsynth>
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... found in file:///opt/Ardour-8.2.0/lib/LV2/a-fluidsynth.lv2/
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... and      file:///usr/lib/lv2/a-fluidsynth.lv2/ (ignored)
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: Duplicate plugin <urn:ardour:a-exp>
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... found in file:///opt/Ardour-8.2.0/lib/LV2/a-exp.lv2/
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... and      file:///usr/lib/lv2/a-exp.lv2/ (ignored)
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: Duplicate plugin <urn:ardour:a-exp#stereo>
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... found in file:///opt/Ardour-8.2.0/lib/LV2/a-exp.lv2/
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... and      file:///usr/lib/lv2/a-exp.lv2/ (ignored)
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: Duplicate plugin <urn:ardour:a-reverb>
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... found in file:///opt/Ardour-8.2.0/lib/LV2/a-reverb.lv2/
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... and      file:///usr/lib/lv2/a-reverb.lv2/ (ignored)
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: Duplicate plugin <urn:ardour:a-delay>
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... found in file:///opt/Ardour-8.2.0/lib/LV2/a-delay.lv2/
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... and      file:///usr/lib/lv2/a-delay.lv2/ (ignored)
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: Duplicate plugin <urn:ardour:a-comp>
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: Duplicate plugin <urn:ardour:a-comp#stereo>
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: Duplicate plugin <https://community.ardour.org/node/7596>
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... found in file:///opt/Ardour-8.2.0/lib/LV2/reasonablesynth.lv2/
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... and      file:///usr/lib/lv2/reasonablesynth.lv2/ (ignored)
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: Duplicate plugin <urn:ardour:a-eq>
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... found in file:///opt/Ardour-8.2.0/lib/LV2/a-eq.lv2/
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... and      file:///usr/lib/lv2/a-eq.lv2/ (ignored)
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: Duplicate plugin <urn:ardour:a-fluidsynth>
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... found in file:///opt/Ardour-8.2.0/lib/LV2/a-fluidsynth.lv2/
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... and      file:///usr/lib/lv2/a-fluidsynth.lv2/ (ignored)
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: Duplicate plugin <urn:ardour:a-exp>
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: Duplicate plugin <urn:ardour:a-exp#stereo>
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: Duplicate plugin <urn:ardour:a-reverb>
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... found in file:///opt/Ardour-8.2.0/lib/LV2/a-reverb.lv2/
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... and      file:///usr/lib/lv2/a-reverb.lv2/ (ignored)
Set cursor set to default
start clocking
Setting time domain
[2024/01/26 00:12:09:7220] N: LWS: 4.3.0-unknown, NET CLI SRV H1 H2 WS ConMon IPv6-absent
[2024/01/26 00:12:09:7307] N:  ++ [wsi|0|pipe] (1)
[2024/01/26 00:12:09:7307] N:  ++ [vh|0|netlink] (1)
[2024/01/26 00:12:09:7308] N:  ++ [vh|1|default||3818] (2)
[2024/01/26 00:12:09:7308] N: [null wsi]: lws_socket_bind: source ads 0.0.0.0
[2024/01/26 00:12:09:7308] N:  ++ [wsi|1|listen|default||3818] (2)
start clocking
[2024/01/26 00:13:02:1175] N:  -- [wsi|0|pipe] (1) 52.386s
[2024/01/26 00:13:02:1175] N:  -- [vh|1|default||3818] (1) 52.386s
[2024/01/26 00:13:02:1175] N:  -- [wsi|1|listen|default||3818] (0) 52.386s
[2024/01/26 00:13:02:1175] N:  -- [vh|0|netlink] (0) 52.386s
Setting time domain
[2024/01/26 00:13:05:1381] N: LWS: 4.3.0-unknown, NET CLI SRV H1 H2 WS ConMon IPv6-absent
[2024/01/26 00:13:05:1394] N:  ++ [wsi|0|pipe] (1)
[2024/01/26 00:13:05:1394] N:  ++ [vh|0|netlink] (1)
[2024/01/26 00:13:05:1395] N:  ++ [vh|1|default||3818] (2)
[2024/01/26 00:13:05:1395] N: [null wsi]: lws_socket_bind: source ads 0.0.0.0
[2024/01/26 00:13:05:1395] N:  ++ [wsi|1|listen|default||3818] (2)
start clocking
[2024/01/26 00:13:37:6672] N:  -- [wsi|0|pipe] (1) 32.527s
[2024/01/26 00:13:37:6673] N:  -- [vh|1|default||3818] (1) 32.527s
[2024/01/26 00:13:37:6673] N:  -- [wsi|1|listen|default||3818] (0) 32.527s
[2024/01/26 00:13:37:6673] N:  -- [vh|0|netlink] (0) 32.527s
add discovered profile Arturia MkII
add discovered profile SSL Nucleus with Ardour Layer
add discovered profile User
set active profile from User

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

One ting i see there is ardour scans plugin folders from the ubuntu version that I also still have installed… i started to use the subscription version when I had other troubles with it and besides the push problem it works much better.

I’m going to remove that, to make sure there is no strange effect.

im not sure whats causing the problem. can you try to restart the audio engine using ALSA instead of Jack and report back if its still behaving the same? if not, we’re going to need someone who is more familiar with Jack to guide you.
edit: don’t worry about the plugins. i have twice as many plugin errors as you lol

You won’t find useful information about much in the terminal output.

I also don’t really want to help you solve this through the slightly not-realtime context of the forums.

Please join us on IRC (https://ardour.org/chat), ideally between about 09:00 and 20:00 US Mountain (UTC-7) and I’ll do what I can to help you figure it out.

1 Like

thanks, I’m there already :wink:

To sum the debugging session on irc up:

The problem did not reproduce anymore, despite happening multiple times the day before when I wrote this post, it didn’t occur a single time when we wanted to observe it.

There are some other midi things, though - one is my syncing and clock setup with multiple hardware devices - this might have caused the push issues too. I will dig into that further…

Another is that when using alsa as audio/midi backend for ardour, the midi devices in the connection dialogue appear randomly unsorted, instead of alphabetical. Even multiple instances of an MRCC midi router with 12 ports are spread all over the grid. This is mainly UI/optical, but with many Midi devices it gets quite hard to figure out the right devices to connect in the connection matrix dialogue.

The third thing is when using jack, the midi ports appear named and sorted in the midi connection dialogue, but restoring the connections doesn’t work there.
I suspect the save and restore uses internal jack device ID’s, which change on various occasions like device unplug/replug, when restarting jack and when computer is restarted and devices attached/turned on in different order.

@paul should I create mantis issues for the last two? I might also look if I can do something about the jack thing myself, if it’s a possible good first issue for someone with not much C++ experience. I wrote a tool in python a few years ago, that did that, though.

Thanks for your extensive support yesterday! :wink:

1 Like

Yes, please file in Mantis for the port sorting issue and clocking one (though the clocking one will be extremely hard to solve - we know Ardour works both as source and receiver for MClk with some devices).

Your script used port aliases, which have been deprecated for several years now, alas.

But I see these human readable names right now being used in ardour, in the connection manager, when I use ardour with a relatively current version( 1.9.21) of jack.

To me it appears like using these names despite being deprecated would be better than not using them and instead restoring control surface port settings and midi mappings in midi connection manager based on ids that change with each replugging / reboot / jack restart.

I might be missing something, or not understanding the internals of ardour, but I don’t see what it is.

Port metadata, specifically the “pretty-name” is the way to do this now. That’s what Ardour uses.

Ok, but I still dont understand why this seems not to be used for saving and restoring sessions.
This is an information that to my understanding normally doesn’t change.

Instead I observed that midi connections get mixed up between restarts of jack/computer etc.

I had set up push to it’s proper midi port, which I identified by this “pretty” human meaningful name, but after a restart of ardour and jack it’s connected to the Korg minilogue XD Port, and therefore unusable.

That’s not exactly the problem I opened this thread for, the original issue appeared in the middle of using push, no restart of anything happened there.
But it’s a reason why it will be difficult for me to use Ardour for my recording sessions, because I also need to record about 8 midi devices plus push and another controller, and having to wire them up from scratch each time is a lot of work.

So I have upwards of 12 MIDI devices connected, and I do not have this issue (though my situation is even more complex in some ways, and simpler in others, because some of them are DIN MIDI only). I have 8 USB MIDI devices, then 4 DIN MIDI devices. The latter can’t be identified across the “DIN MIDI” barrier, so I simply have to know where they show up in the port list (which is also mediated by a very old 2U MIDI patch bay from ensoniq).

We do not use pretty names (or the old port aliases) because they are not considered canonical (subject to user-renaming)

Your issue arises from using JACK2, which is not handling this stuff appropriately.

If you say it’s because it’s because I use jack2, does that mean I should try using jack1 instead?

And yes I need Jack because I need to use multiple usb audio devices and assumed from the manuals and because jack is an option in the settings that it’s a supported option.

I had understood that you said you dont use jack yourself, but I didn’t get the part that it’s completely not recommended or at least not when using midi devices.

I hope I’m not annoyingly nagging here - i just try to find out if, and how I can solve my specific use case, which definitely it’s not a very simple one.
Just let me know when this is too much. I dont want to go on people’s nerves :wink:

I use JACK1 all day every day (because i was its primary author). Its status on most Linux distros is now distinctly that of a 2nd class citizen, alas.

ok then it’s that difference between jack2 and jack1 that i didn’t understand.

Yes, to a person not too deeply into the details it looks like jack1 is just some old version that’s there for some backwards compatibility, but it’s not presented as something one should use when just starting.

I’m gonna check it out next time.

Thanks.