Push for LV2 on KVR

What type of changes were made snd how does it affect plugin makers then before?

Sorry, I didn’t go further than this page: x42-plugins
I should have!

Regarding the VST3 format and not being a programmer, I only know what I read in KVR, including Arne explaining that VST3 was not intended for creating MIDI plug-ins (I don’t get it). I also own Diva and U-he advised to use VST2 rather than VST3, because of problems with MIDI (but I forget which ones). I have a few VST2 MIDI plug-ins on my computer and I’ve never come across a VST3 MIDI generator, but maybe that’s just happenstance. I drew conclusions too quickly.

Anyway, so much the better! I am happy and relieved to read this.

As opposed to VST2, u-he VST3 plugins lack MIDI learn.

VST3 delegates this to the host, but plugin-authors come up with creative hacks to work around this in order to remain in control.

It’s more like “what has not changed”?

The only thing that’s common in VST2 and VST3 is the name and vendor. Otherwise it’s a completely different standard with almost nothing in common.

Can people still put out plugins in vst2 or is it mandatory to use vst 3 for all new plugins

Read the last 2 or 3 pages of the thread (page 22/23)

From your post it looked like some potential interesting parallels could be drawn to past events, so I thought I’d just throw this in here.

1. It almost sounds like an interesting parallel can be drawn to JACK. I imagine that you could have said something similar about it years ago - “the core just works”; “it was built to be extensible”.
    Yet somehow with all that power and flexibility, it didn’t completely get to a simple, straight forward product for the casual user (or at least took a long time). (In this case I’m comparing JACK users to LV2 “users” which are developers, not the perfect analogy but maybe there’s something there.)

2. Can a parallel be drawn to your previous post about “is open source (in Ardour) a distraction to what users want” - for LV2: “is extensibility a distraction to what users/devs want?”.

3. “there’s nothing more to do than promote it.” - JACK vs. Ableton Link comes to mind.

I’m not sure whether I’ve got something here or not and the comparisons are not perfect, but it did strike me as interesting nonetheless, especially that these parallels come from your experience. Perhaps you have some more thoughts or advice to LV2 on a philosophical level :stuck_out_tongue: ?

And often that’s the most difficult part - I have typically felt the same thing, at the end of a project - “here’s my new plug-in, all that’s left to do now is promote it…” and that’s when I notice the tumbleweed blowing past and reality sets in :slight_smile: “All that’s left to do now is promote it” might be an apt motto for Linux audio generally? :slight_smile:

On the upside, you don’t have to provide end-user support, either :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.