Problems with lv2 plugins on Ardour 7.3

I have problems installing lv2 plugins and struggle to find why. I am using Ardour 7.3 (downloaded from ardour.org) on Linux Mint 21.1. Se Neofetch below.

yoshimi

I struggle for example with lv2 versions of Yoshimi and the Calf plugins

I put them in the .lv2 directory in my home directory let Ardour rescan the plugins. After that the show up in the plugin list but when I try to insert them on a track I get the following:

The log window shows:

2023-03-01T12:34:41 [INFO]: Loading user ui scripts file /home/bengt/.var/app/org.ardour.Ardour/config/ardour7/ui_scripts

2023-03-01T12:34:41 [INFO]: Loading plugin order file /home/bengt/.var/app/org.ardour.Ardour/config/ardour7/plugin_metadata/plugin_order

2023-03-01T12:34:42 [INFO]: Loading history from /home/bengt/Ardour_songs/Songs/Gitarrtest_6/Gitarrtest_6-7001.history

2023-03-01T12:38:08 [ERROR]: LV2: Failed to instantiate plugin http://yoshimi.sourceforge.net/lv2_plugin

neofetch

Where did you get Yoshimi and Calf from; the Mint repository, self compiled or from their websites?
It could be a dynamic library mismatch.

Can you run the stand-alone yoshimi binary?

I downloaded from their websites.
Yes, I can run the stand-alone version of Yoshimi.

Even the X42 plugins does not work for me… I find this so odd? Isnt it just about putting them in the correct directory? What am I missing?

Do the “ACE” LV2 plugins that come with Ardour work? ACE-EQ, ACE-Delay.

Is there any further information printed, when you start Ardour7 from a Terminal Window?

Yes all the ACE plugins seems to work as well as your LXVST like X42 Parametric EQ.
How do I start Ardour from the terminal?

I do not provide VST plugins. All x42-plugins are LV2.

Type Ardour7 and press enter.

The screen is from Ardour… showing a few X42 as VST or am I mistaken…

From Ardour7 in the terminal:
Ardour7.3.0 (built using 7.3 and GCC version 6.3.0 20170516)
Ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Ardour to 1048576 open files
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /opt/Ardour-7.3.0/etc/system_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading user configuration file /home/bengt/.config/ardour7/config
Ardour: [INFO]: CPU vendor: AuthenticAMD
Ardour: [INFO]: AVX capable processor
Ardour: [INFO]: AVX with FMA capable processor
Ardour: [INFO]: CPU brand: AMD Ryzen 9 3900 12-Core Processor
Ardour: [INFO]: Using AVX and FMA optimized routines
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading plugin meta data file /opt/Ardour-7.3.0/share/plugin_metadata/plugin_tags
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading plugin statistics file /home/bengt/.config/ardour7/plugin_metadata/plugin_stats
Ardour: [INFO]: add_lrdf_data ‘/home/bengt/.config/ardour7/rdf:/opt/Ardour-7.3.0/share/rdf:/usr/local/share/ladspa/rdf:/usr/share/ladspa/rdf’
Cannot xinstall SIGPIPE error handler
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-7.3.0/etc/default_ui_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading 454 MIDI patches from /opt/Ardour-7.3.0/share/patchfiles
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading user ui configuration file /home/bengt/.config/ardour7/ui_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading color file /opt/Ardour-7.3.0/share/themes/dark-ardour.colors
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-7.3.0/etc/clearlooks.rc
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading bindings from /opt/Ardour-7.3.0/etc/ardour.keys
Loading ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-7.3.0/etc/clearlooks.rc
ardour-request-device: Failed to acquire device: ‘Audio1’
Device or resource busy
ALSA: Cannot open device ‘hw:A14,0’: Device or resource busy
Device or resource busy
Device or resource busy
Device or resource busy
Device or resource busy
Device or resource busy
Device or resource busy
Device or resource busy
Device or resource busy
Device or resource busy
Found nothing along /home/bengt/.config/ardour7/templates:/opt/Ardour-7.3.0/share/templates

@bengtfalke

Are you mixing in some KXStudio stuff there? It looks like you’ve got that lv2tovst bridge thing in there muddying the water… ?

I’d be getting rid of that, Ardour supports both LV2 and VST2/3 and doesn’t need that bridge.

Thank you , Glen! How do I remove that in a simple way?

Hi, I don’t know the exact name… lv2vst…? If you look in your software center or Package Management you should have a Package named that or very close to it, you should just have to uninstall that. I don’t use KXStudio Repos so I don’t know if that is a separate Package or whether it is part of a meta-package.

This stuff should all just work… Linux Mint is a gorgeous Linux Desktop Distribution but unless you know what changes and modifications to make I don’t think it is ideal for content creation out of the box…

Glen, do you think Ubuntu Studio is a better choice?

If I was a betting man, I would put my money on Glen recommending AVLinux over Ubuntu Studio. :wink:

3 Likes

I was going to go with Cubase on a Vic20, but you may have some inside info. :slight_smile:

Haha… not necessarily…

I obviously put a lot of effort and thought into AVL but I have no issue with UbStu even though they are significantly different under the hood… For someone who basically wants to run Ardour with the common best-known Linux Plugins and someone who might believe and take comfort in feeling that a bigger organization is better then I think Ubuntu Studio may be the best choice, especially to initially get acquainted. Some people find the sheer amount of options and extras and Plugins and Demos and Video tools to be overwhelming in AVL… Lol not everyone wants to edit samples with the File Manager… :thinking:

I use Ubuntu Studio together with Ardour (5/6/7) with almost no issues at all for years now.
Some folks seem to prefer AVL linux.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.