problems since updating to ubuntu 14.04

has anybody else run into issues after updating to ubuntu 14?
im having issues with realtime monitoring and ardour has crashed twice now running pd and ardour simultaneously. this had not been a problem before
any ideas?

Hi!
First thank to the ardour team for the awesome work, It matches my ideas and principles and I think it can fight logic (my latest daw) pretty good.

I’ve got an issue quite weird. After installing ardour 3 I found there is no midi at all: no tools, not able to create midi tracks (wont appear in the options)… I installed it before on ubuntu 12.04 and worked very good, Midi included, but I erased 12 and installed 14.04 and now trying to find how to bring back Midi.

Cant understand it. I searched for someone with same issue but I didn’t find. I’m running ardour 3 on ubuntu 14.04, also installed jack and qjackctl (same package as ardour) and calf plugins and hydrogen drumkits.

Surely is some shitty mistake I made, or something I didn’t notice while installing, but as an open geek wanabee, still too rookie to understand what went wrong.

Thanks for good work and keep on!

Cheers!

or its ubuntu 14.04 which has just came out and has broken stuff.

people are having problems with various things in ubuntu 14.04 playonlinx users are having issues aswell.

that says something doesnt it. Its not just ardour, lots of things are not working that worked on previous versions of linux.

Best option is to stick with 12.04 until all the bugs are worked out, and software developers have updated there code to work in newer versions.

tnh newer isnt always better. I stay several versions behind in linux. because after a while it becomes stable. I ran 10.10 for over 2 years before i moved to 12.04 and im now running 12.04 for over a year.

Yes - back in 2012 I also kept to stay on Ubuntu 10.04 until Winter/Spring 2013, then I went to Ubuntu 12.04 and everything worked fine. Now I stay on 12.04 except for two “experimental” computers with 14.04: the first made an upgrade from 13.10, it runs quite good; the other one is freshly set up with 14.04: it runs but I get a lot of error messages. So it actually seems to be the best idea to wait several months til a lot of bugs are fixed - and then install or upgrade to 14.04. On the computers which I need for my work I will keep 12.04 until (at least) next autumn or winter.

By the way I remember that elsewhere in this forum someone recommended neither Ubuntu nor Ubuntu Studio for work with Ardour. Instead of them people recommended distributions like AVLinux, Linux Mint and KX Studio.
Because I was curious I have just set up TangoStudio (http://tangostudio.tuxfamily.org/) and so far it seems to run stable and seems to be reliable.

Michael

I’m never using ‘old’ software. 2 years in linux is big difference unless you compile your own stuff or using debs from ppa’s or something like that. I use debian testing/unstable/experimental with lots of bleeding edge software.
If i have problems then it’s a dependency thing but almost nothing else.

...I use debian testing/unstable/experimental with lots of bleeding edge software...
Personally I wouldn't recommend that kind of setup (with any distro) for anything you might depend upon in a reliable production environment - e.g. as part of an audio setup on which you (and possibly clients who were paying actual real money for your services) depended - but I guess it's less of an issue if it's just experimental and you don't mind some breakage. Personally I prefer to stick with LTS releases, 12.04 at the moment (and even 10.04 for some 'legacy' stuff) and cautiously test the "latest and greatest" on either a separate machine (or partition etc). That said, I'm not aware of any problems with 14.04 - above and beyond the general sense that, while I appreciate that A3 is in ongoing development, I have a distinct feeling the recent release(s) have been a bit more "in development" than normal... Am I alone in thinking this?

@linuxdsp

Well yes and no. I do agree that the recent releases have introduced some serious bugs, but I am not sure that I would qualify them as more ‘in development’ than previous releases personally as these issues weren’t caught until utilized by others beyond the typical beta testers.

Seablade

@seablade: Yes, partly the reason I mention it is because I’ve just been finding problems recently which are difficult to recreate, but just kind of odd quirks which I don’t remember from previous releases - otherwise I would be filing bug reports. Example:

Loaded a session, added a mono track (by mistake, as it should have been stereo) removed the empty mono track, added a stereo track in its place, got messages on the error console about JACK port failed constructor… couldn’t add any more tracks to the session. Re-start adour and I can’t recreate the problem (so its not e.g. a JACK config issue and no other JACK cients were running). Coupled with reports of files going missing and various MIDI related problems being reported too and it was all making me a bit nervous…

Also getting these messages spooling out on the terminal too:

error: failed to expand CURIE `pprops:hasStrictBounds' error: attempt to add quad with NULL field error: failed to expand CURIE `pprops:hasStrictBounds' error: attempt to add quad with NULL field error: failed to expand CURIE `units:unit' error: failed to expand CURIE `units:db' error: attempt to add quad with NULL field error: failed to expand CURIE `units:conversion' error: attempt to add quad with NULL field..

I imagine this is some kind of LV2 ttl related nonsense but I haven’t a clue what it means… or where its coming from (spending more of my time with Win / Mac development at the moment for various reasons)

@linuxdsp

Ive had those errors before and i think i was told to ignore them, they are to do with plugins not using the correct labeling system or something.

@veda_sticks: Yes, those messages don’t seem to directly cause any problems for me at the moment, but they are a recent addition.

they are to do with plugins not using the correct labeling system or something.
Who even knows what that is? :)

http://lv2plug.in/ns/extensions/units/

@linuxdsp

It’s correct it’s not recommended in a production environmont, but i’m not a pro :-). Beside that, it’s not that i’m installing everything from experimental or unstable. But if you use ubuntu 12.04, then you have to install also newer software through ppa repositories or other ways because some stuff is to old after 1-2years. If my xserver is 2 years old(only securty updates), i don’t mind because there not much difference most of the time. But for some desktop applications or lv2/vst plugins, i don’t to use the old ones because the development is going very fast on smaller applications and you miss lots of new features wich are very handy sometimes.

I you don’t have experience with linux i wouldn’t recommended anyway. I you know what you are upgrading and know how to downgrade stuff if there are problems why not ;-).

@Paul: Thanks - I guess there are some use cases for which it makes sense, but it seems kind of crazy to me that there needs to be all that extension stuff about defining units, and converting from this and that, especially as in most analogue hardware emulations for example there are seldom accurate ‘dB’ control laws, normally some close, but importantly different approximation. In VST for example, the host doesn’t know or care about the units necessarily, everything, including how the value / control is displayed in a host generated UI, is determined simply by the plugin writing a string for the host to display - all the control law properties and units are handled entirely in the plugin - that always seemed more elegant / versatile to me (there is potentially the same criticism inherent in AudioUnit, for the same reasons, as LV2 is in many ways quite similar) - but this is getting a bit (a lot) off topic…

@cajmere: of course - and as I said its fine as long as you know and accept the risks of cutting-edge releases :slight_smile:

But for some desktop applications or lv2/vst plugins, i don't to use the old ones because the development is going very fast on smaller applications and you miss lots of new features wich are very handy sometimes.
Yes - I'd agree (having just put something like three minor plugin updates out in the last week) - as developers we also want people to use our latest and - maybe - greatest work) but even though all developers always test their work thoroughly on many different platforms... its always best to be cautious if its a critical project :)

linuxdsp: There doesn’t need to be any attention paid to units at all. No plugin is required to use the units extension. LV2 plugins can function just like VST plugins in this respect if they want to. The extension exists to cover cases where it can be useful to have the host and the plugin agree on certain conventions. What does matter, however, is that if a plugin declares itself as using the units extension, it does it correctly, which many plugins apparently do not.

@Paul: ok, that makes sense, I’ve used LV2 similar to VST as you describe - out of necessity, or at least to avoid an unnecessary extra layer of complexity, as I mentioned, so the units extension shouldn’t be an issue in any of my software - and as far as I can recall I’ve never used it.