Problem with LADSPA plugins in 2.3 (shipped with Ubuntu Hardy)

After the upgrade from 2.1 to 2.3, an Ardour session I had created with 2.1 doesn’t play out as long as any of the LADSPA plugins I had used within Ardour are active.

Ardour complains of the following:

[ERROR]: Found a reference to a plugin (“1403”) that is unknown.
Perhaps it was removed or moved since it was last used.
[WARNING]: insert could not be created. Ignored.
[ERROR]: Found a reference to a plugin (“1403”) that is unknown.
Perhaps it was removed or moved since it was last used.
[WARNING]: insert could not be created. Ignored.
[ERROR]: Error instantiating MackieControlProtocol: The Mackie MCU driver will not use a port with device=ardour
[ERROR]: control protocol name “Mackie” could not be initialized

As soon as I disable them, I get the sound in my headphones.

I tried deleting those “old” plugins from the track mixer, then I tried inserted new ones, but as soon as I activated any one of those in a track, the sound was gone.

Am I missing something? Has something changed in the way plugins are handled by the application?

I’m not sure about the plugin issue, but I just learned that whenever you upgrade Ardour, you have to reconfigure your controller’s MIDI in ardour.rc. There are a couple of recent threads (re: BCF2000, ‘Mackie mode’) addressing this.

Thanks for the quick reply. The problem turned out to be that my latency setting in Ardour was too low. Everything works as it should (except for the missing LADSPA plugin, the Dyson compressor, but that’s not a concern at the moment).

The Mackie bit in my error message is that I am using Mackie Spike XD-2 card, but I don’t have controller (so I guess I’ll just ignore the message).

The bad part is that the only option I can use in Ardour is 8129, which didn’t use to be the case with 2.1 (the same machine, the same session, the same sound card). I am using the Hardy rt kernel (2.6.24-16-rt)… But I guess that’s for another topic.

Thanks again for your help.

I myself have problems with LADSPA plugins with ardour and ubuntu Hardy, some plugins sound extremely noisy, son don’t work, but only when I export the project, while working I have no issues.