Problem installing latest version of Ardour (3.5.357)

Hello,

I’ve been using Ubuntu Studio 13.10. I tried to install the latest version of Ardour, using the instructions (http://ardour.org/first_time_linux.html), and got the following output:
person@Surak:~/Downloads/Ardour_64bit-3.5.357-dbg$ sh ./install.sh

Welcome to the Ardour installer

Ardour will be installed for user person in /opt

[sudo] password for person:
Wed Feb 26 20:36:44 GMT 2014
Architecture is x86
Checking for required disk space

!!! ERROR !!! Can’t locate .size file for x86 bundle.
This package is broken or does not support x86.

Press ENTER to exit installer:

If applicable, here is my output for the following:
person@Surak:~$ lshw -C CPU
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
*-cpu
product: Intel® Core™ i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
vendor: Intel Corp.
physical id: 1
bus info: cpu@0
version: 6.10.9
serial: 0003-06A9-0000-0000-0000-0000
size: 1600MHz
capacity: 1600MHz
width: 64 bits
capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx rdtscp x86-64 constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm ida arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms cpufreq
configuration: id=6
*-logicalcpu:0
description: Logical CPU
physical id: 6.1
capabilities: logical
*-logicalcpu:1
physical id: 6.2
*-logicalcpu:2
physical id: 6.3
*-logicalcpu:3
physical id: 6.4
*-logicalcpu:4
physical id: 6.5
*-logicalcpu:5
physical id: 6.6
*-logicalcpu:6
physical id: 6.7
*-logicalcpu:7
physical id: 6.8
*-logicalcpu:8
physical id: 6.9
*-logicalcpu:9
physical id: 6.a
*-logicalcpu:10
physical id: 6.b
*-logicalcpu:11
physical id: 6.c
*-logicalcpu:12
physical id: 6.d
*-logicalcpu:13
physical id: 6.e
*-logicalcpu:14
physical id: 6.f
*-logicalcpu:15
physical id: 6.10
WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.

-and-
person@Surak:~$ uname -a
Linux Surak 3.11.0-17-lowlatency #11-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Fri Feb 7 00:49:23 UTC 2014 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

Help would be appreciated! I’ve been using Ardour with Ubuntu Studio to make music for a little over 3 years. I enjoy using it and hope that I’ll like it even more once I’m able to use this version. :slight_smile: Thanks for reading.

Hi, thanks for responding. I just tried downloading it and doing the same thing again, but got the same response. It doesn’t seem to recognize that my computer is a 64-bit machine, for some reason.

I haven’t yet tried installing the 32-bit version (but wouldn’t that under-utilize my CPU speed?)

catquarksmusic: you are running a 32 bit version of Linux. You need the 32 bit version of Ardour.

Linux Surak 3.11.0-17-lowlatency #11-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Fri Feb 7 00:49:23 UTC 2014 <strong> i686 i686 i686</strong> GNU/Linux

There should be no performance (speed) issue with running 32bit on a 64bit machine - in some cases 32bit is actually faster. The primary advantage with 64bit is the ability to address more memory (which, ironically, in some cases you only need precisely because of using a 64bit OS and applications)

I see. Thanks for your help! Although it looks like I have a different issue now – the output of ‘lshw -C CPU’ shows that I’m capable of running a 64-bit version of Linux, right? (even though I’m not, somehow)

linuxdsp: Just saw your post. That’s a relief to hear. I thought I had installed a 64-bit version of linux, but if, somehow, I don’t end up figuring that out, it’s good to know that 32-bit might end up being faster anyway.

catquarksmusic: if you paid for ardour, let me know and I can reset your download so that you can get the right one (email me via paul@linuxaudiosystems.com)

paul: Thanks for the offer. I managed to fix the issue, however! I installed the 64-bit version of Ubuntu I wanted, installed the new version of Ardour, and it appears to be working normally. Looking forward to making some more music.

Thanks for the support!

Ive used both 64 bit linux and 32 bit linux. Ive never really noticed much if any difference with the applications i have used. I suppose it really depends on how the programs are coded if they can fully take advantage of 64 bit.

Anyway, you got it sorted. Ive done that myself accidentally downloaded the 32 bit version of Linux.