Problem installing Ardour 2.8

I need to compile Ardour with VST support on fedora 15. Compilation is terminated by some errors:

scons: Building targets …
g++ -o libs/sigc++2/sigc++/signal_base.os -c -Woverloaded-virtual -DPROGRAM_NAME=“Ardour” -D_REENTRANT -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DGTK_NEW_TOOLTIP_API -DHAVE_LV2 -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -fstrength-reduce -pipe -DARCH_X86 -mmmx -march=i686 -msse -mfpmath=sse -DUSE_XMMINTRIN -m32 -DBUILD_SSE_OPTIMIZATIONS -Wall -DHAVE_LIBLO -DPROGRAM_NAME=“Ardour” -D_REENTRANT -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -Ilibs -DENABLE_NLS -fPIC -Ilibs/sigc++2 libs/sigc++2/sigc++/signal_base.cc
In file included from libs/sigc++2/sigc++/signal_base.cc:20:0:
libs/sigc++2/sigc++/signal_base.h:46:11: error: ‘size_t’ does not name a type
libs/sigc++2/sigc++/signal_base.h:95:3: error: ‘size_type’ does not name a type
libs/sigc++2/sigc++/signal_base.h:239:11: error: ‘size_t’ does not name a type
libs/sigc++2/sigc++/signal_base.h:261:3: error: ‘size_type’ does not name a type
libs/sigc++2/sigc++/signal_base.cc:47:1: error: ‘size_type’ in ‘struct sigc::internal::signal_impl’ does not name a type
libs/sigc++2/sigc++/signal_base.cc:115:1: error: ‘size_type’ in ‘struct sigc::signal_base’ does not name a type
scons: *** [libs/sigc++2/sigc++/signal_base.os] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.

Plese help me resolving this problem. I need Ardour with VST as soon as possible.

Hi

If I’m not mistaken the official release of Ardour 2.8.11 does not compile with gcc-4.6 which I’m guessing is in Fedora 15. You will need to get the Ardour 2.8.12 source from SVN which is patched for this as well as having many improvements over 2.8.11. See here:

http://ardour.org/download_full

Basically you will need to install subversion if you don’t already have it and use it to grab the ardour 2.0-ongoing SVN source which should compile for you properly.

Thanks for your help. It was one error during compilation from svn: glibmm/string.h file was missing. I changed string.h to stringutils.h in file vst_plugin.cc (because I noticed that this stringutils.h exist and string.h doesn’t exist) and it compiled well.