Problem controlling volume of plugins with MIDI controller

I am looking to fix an issue I have with my SubZero CommandKey25 MIDI controller/keyboard. When I turn the volume knob down the volume goes down 1db then back up 1db and then back down … and so on and so on (down up down up down up). I’m presuming I need to configure something to correct this.

I’ve had a look in Preferences but I’m a little bit lost.

All of the knobs on this device act the same way (checked via MIDI tracer). The keys and pads on this device work as expected.

I’m running Ardour6 64bit on Windows 10.

Here’s what the MIDI tracer reports back when I turn the volume knob down:

midi

As a first guess, it seems that these knobs are encoders (just sending messages basically saying “clockwise” or “anticlockwise” rather than actual values.

The MIDI learn process can’t accomodate this sort of knob. You would need to create a MIDI binding map for this device.

Read more about binding maps here: https://manual.ardour.org/using-control-surfaces/generic-midi/midi-binding-maps/

Read more about encoders here: https://manual.ardour.org/using-control-surfaces/generic-midi/working-with-encoders/

Thanks for the links!

I’ll check them out.

Actually, we’ve been talking online about your device, and it is either a new type of encoder or there is a bug in our code for “enc-b” style encoders (we may never have encountered one before). Either way, Ardour does not currently support this device.

Interesting. Would making a MIDI binding map help here or will that not help?

I’m looking to find the parameters of the plugins I’m using (VST instruments on MIDI tracks). Any pointers on how I can target the correct parameter?

The user manual that comes with the device states that that the 16 knobs are encoders.

Not sure if it’s useful but here’s the user manual: https://easyupload.io/u7sx0t

Okay, so an update… The knob now works as expected. I just clicked the “Default Values” button in the included config software. The configuration for the knob doesn’t seem to be any different but hey… it works.

I’m having issues with binding to the pads on the device. By default they play notes but I’m wanting the 1st pad to start playing and the 2nd pad to stop playing.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<ArdourMIDIBindings version="1.0.0" name="SubZero CommandKey25">
	<Binding channel="1" note="2" function="transport-roll"/>
	<Binding channel="1" note="1" function="transport-stop"/>
</ArdourMIDIBindings>

midi

Those messages are MIDI controller messages, not MIDI note messages.

I’ve tried using this config:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<ArdourMIDIBindings version="1.0.0" name="SubZero CommandKey25">
	<Binding channel="1" ctl="2" function="transport-roll"/>
	<Binding channel="1" ctl="1" function="transport-stop"/>
</ArdourMIDIBindings>

But I’m no further forward.

These are examples from a known-to-work binding map for the Nektar Panorama:

<Binding channel="1" ctl="111" function="transport-stop" momentary="yes"/>
  <Binding channel="1" ctl="112" function="transport-roll" momentary="yes"/>

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.