Plugin online activation problem

I tried to activate Audio Assault’s plugin through. It won’t work because it can’t connect to the internet. But with Reaper this works. I am using the latest version of AvLinux MXE. Can this problem be solved?

1 Like

Not familiar with current Linux firewall tech, but some work on a program level. Since plugins are just part of the host program, from the operating system point of view, that host program needs access. So in your case this would mean that Reaper got access at some point and Ardour did not. I would start troubleshooting this by checking the firewall settings.

Those plugins are made for Windows, you need to check with whatever bridge program you are using (yabridge?).

Audio Assault are also Linux native as well. I was also unable to authorize using Ardour. Any plug in that needs net authorization would not authorize using Ardour.

Maybe a permissions problem ?

It seems like all plug ins are not able to open a web browser either.

Audio Assault plugins are also native Linux versions, VST & VST3.
It also seems to be that the plugin can’t open its own data folder, for example. In Reaper, this is possible

I’m sorry, I was going by the FAQ entry at Audio Assault, I did not go deep enough on the web site to see the penguin symbol on the plugin downloads. That is cool that they make Linux plugins available, good to see.

It seems that in principle these plugins opening a data folder should be similar to a synthesizer plugin opening a folder to find patch settings files, or a sampler plugin loading samples.

I am not familiar with the VST3 handling code at all, so I am not much help in debugging, but it seems like at least file loading should be possible. Network access may have different considerations.

Same problem here with Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. Reaper and Bitwig are fine. In Fact, this is usually where one of my windows10 (on win10, not yabridge) vst3 plugins crash as well, while file browsing.

Good to know I’m not alone. Hopefully this will be made to work in the future.

Did you follow the installation procedure, as described in the Installation Info.txt ?

mkdir "/opt/Audio Assault"
cp -r ./AmpLockerData "/opt/Audio Assault/"
chmod -R 775 "/opt/Audio Assault/AmpLockerData/"
cp "./Amp Locker VST2.so" ~/.vst
cp -r "./Amp Locker.vst3" ~/.vst3/

What’s missing from these instructions is that an ordinary user usually doesn’t have the permission to create folders or do chmod in /opt , so we’re is missing a sudo or su prior to the first three instructions.

If you’re running your AVL as an ordinary user, and you’ve used sudo to create the /opt/Audio Assault folder, your ordinary user doesn’t have the right to modify any files there, so if that’s where the license info gets placed then it won’t work.

If that’s the case you could try changing the ownership of the folder to your ordinary user by running
sudo chown -R your_username "/opt/Audio Assault/"

It could also be Ardour having a problem with the space in “Audio Assault”

This installation process looks really odd to me.
However, it doesn’t explain why things work in reaper and not in ardour.

I suspect this is more likely the issue. Even after setting appropriate permissions, I had to activate my Audio Assault plugs from within Reaper before they were active in Ardour. It just wasn’t possible in Ardour to do this.

The same applies for Speedrum. I had to activate this from within Reaper too. What’s more, Ardour can’t open or save Speedrum kits and I suspect that’s related to the above issue (my workaround is create kits from within Reaper → save → then from within Ardour, use Speedrum’s browser to open the previously saved kits because the main menu (from within Speedrum) doesn’t respond in Ardour. Not ideal but a workaround nonetheless.

On my system , the Audio Assault directory has to be accessed with single quotes ‘Audio Assault’

`chmod -R 775 "/opt/‘Audio Assault’/AmpLockerData/

Maybe that is part of the issue with Ardours handling ?

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

It doesn’t matter whether you’re using single or double quotes, as long as you’re consistent.
So “/opt/Audio Assault/” and /opt/‘Audio Assault’/ are equivalent.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification!

I suspect this is the same issue I ran into, see 0009477: Unable to open native file dialogs from VST plugins - MantisBT

Essentially, the official Ardour package comes bundled with it’s own copy of various libraries that may conflict with system libraries and make plugins unable to perform some system actions like opening file dialogs.

You may have more luck with a third-party package, or compile your own.

I asked Audio Assault for a refund for this, happened to me as well. They’re newer plugins worked for me, but the older ones didn’t. They did say the older ones would work once they get revamped.

It is possible to activate those plugins via standalone version. Or alternatively via offline.

It goes without saying, but needs to be reiterated:

The best way to go about things is to always try to use Linux-native plugins, and avoid challenge/response like the plague. I buy nothing that doesn’t use a simple serial number or keyfile.

If there are no other alternatives that you can use, you can “attempt” to get things working using challenge/response. The same with WINE + yabridge apps.

Keep to this simple rule, and you will have an easier experience. :slight_smile:

That said, this sounds like a problem for Audio Assult to deal with, rather than Ardour. I’d recommend contacting them for support.

AFAIK, you only need to activate the AA plugins once on the machine. You activate them in - say - Carla and they are ready to use with Ardour or any other context. A data file is created in the plugin data directory after registration.
Could it be that you have more than one copy of the plugin on your machine and Ardour and Reaper have scanned it from different directories?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.