Plugin for phase corrections?

(Kung Foo) #1

Is there a plugin that enables one to “rotate” the phase of a signal around? Such as to fix phase cancellations, if there is two tracks, say of a guitar, that were recorded with two microphones. Of course nothing goes over carefully adjusting microphone placement, but for the fine tuning such a plugin would be very useful.

(Paul Davis) #2

if the phases are 180 degrees apart, then just right click on the track name in the mixer strip, and select “Reverse polarity”.

for other more subtle phase variances, i don’t have a suggestion.

(Kung Foo) #3

No I meant for the more subtle changes. There are hardware devices who do that… (I think by applying flat eq, because that adds phase shift).

I’m a computer science student and very much interested in the whole plugin story, I might try to write such a plugin. Is there any guidelines that one MUST absolutely read?

(V2) #4

Would a very slight delay or nudging the track by a few samples do the trick?

(Matt Francomb) #5

I’m working on one ATM. I’ve only tested it on kick and snare
within a drum-kit, but when it’s necessary, it can bring the close-mic’d
source into much better focus with the overheads than a simple polarity-reverse will do.

I’m waiting on getting an official plugin ID allocated for it before
I can release.

I guess I could maybe try to put together an LV2 version, which AIUI wouldn’t
need an official ID, but I’ve never done any LV2 stuff yet

(calimerox) #6

usually for recording it also would do a line delay put in the effect channel (yes, with eq also the phases shift…) but for using that correctly u´d need to know the exact delaytimes, you need to “ping” your mics(or calculate distances…)… I ve neverdone it and only think of the commercial smart who can do that, but maybe theres an open source program who has the same feature…?

(synthesis) #7

More than 10 Years later: Does anyone know a plugin to solve the problem?

(AlgoRhythms) #8

UAD makes a plug in called Little Labs IBP Phase alignment tool.
I’ve used is many times. Its simple and effective.

https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/special-processing/little-labs-ibp.html

(hope its okay to post links to other vendors. Please remove if not)

Hope this helps.

Michael MacDonald
AlgoRhythms Mastering

(calimerox) #9

and by now there are also other options: harrison mixbus has the great polarity optimization tool I m using a lot. there was once a plugin from linuxdsp/overtone where you could shift phases. and also there is a lsp plugin for “micro delays”

(Luis Finotti) #10

LSP also has a phase detector that works great!

(synthesis) #11

Thanks for the answers. I’m looking for an LV2, LinVST or LADSPA plugin in Ardour. I can not find the linuxdsp / overtone plugin online. All links there are offline. Can someone publish the linuxdsp / overtone plugin again if it is open source? The LSP plugins are not what I am looking for.

(Luis Finotti) #12

OvertoneDSP are not open source, but are available here: https://overtonedsp.co.uk/ They are great, but they don’t do phase correction.

LSP does it well. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-rNb409GYg