Plugin can't route to more than two channels on a track

Hi there. We are working on an NDI plugin, and I’d like to get it to work with Ardour/Mixbus. So far it does work as expected in Reaper.

There are two problems:

1. Even though the track is 12 channels in Ardour, I can’t list the other channels to send my audio to. I can do that in Reaper.
  2. With the Sender version of the same plugin, I am supposed to write in the box, but Ardour/Mixbus won’t allow me to type, but will take all keystrokes as shortcuts on the main UI.

I am attaching two short videos showing the behavior in Ardour/Mixbus and in Reaper.

Where could I start looking for this bug? This was built using JUCE.

Reaper Example.mov

Ardour Example.mov

Mixbus Can’t type in plugin box.mov

Pablo

I cannot watch videos here (low bandwidth link), but for (2), top-left in every plugin UI window is a “keyboard” icon. That allows to disable global shortcuts and focus the plugin’s own GUI for key-entry.

As for (1), that is unusual. On a 12 channel track Ardour provides 12 I/Os to every plugin and may also replicate the plugin as necessary. You could also use a stereo track and pick variable-i/o (as opposed to strict-i/o this will allow a plugin to add or remove ports).

One explanation would be that you have created VST3 plugin with optional busses instead of a 12 channel wide main bus.

For the time being Ardour only supports one main-bus and one optional sidechain bus for VST3. – LV2, VST2, AU do not have this limitation.

Thanks Robin. I confirm that issue 2 related to typing works as you suggested after clicking on the keyboard.

I have an AU version available on my system which is found by Ableton Live, Mainstage and Studio One on my mac. Why would Ardour not pick it up?

Thanks

P

Have you scanned for new plugins since installing it?

Menu > Window > Plugin Manager – or Preferences > Plugins > AU

All right, so the AU version of the plugin works fine up to 8 channels. After adding the 9th audio in i/o I get the following when trying to add the plugin:

FA2AD45E-2467-4D5D-9284-9BE437EAC018

Any clue of what could be the limiting factor here? I am using Flexible I/O.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.