Plugin bypass "automation"?

Hello!

Is there a way to enable/disable a plugin for a specific track range? I know I can automate plugin parameters, but I’d like to activate a plugin in a specific time point, and totally deactivate it after a while in another time point.

I have found this topic: http://ardour.org/node/933
It was mentioned there about ‘bypass’ automation implementation, but what’s the status of this? Has it been done?

Or is there another way to achieve such functionality?

Instance the playlist into another track without the plugin, and then automated the gain on both tracks to switch back and forth between them.

I have started using Ardour recently, so I’m not sure if I understand you right.
By “instance the playlist into another track” do you mean to copy & paste the whole data from one track to another, ans switch between them in appropriate time points to achieve the effect I want?

To be even more specific, highlight the range in the region you want altered, convert it into an in-place region , copy that region to a new track ( to which you’ll add your plugin), and then mute the original in-place region you previously created (or keep it as is depending on the sound you’re trying to create).

I would use a “convert to in-place region” on whatever section of the track you want to add additional plugins, copy that region to a new track, and then mute the original region you just converted. That way, you avoid copying the “whole data” and eliminate any notion of switching. Then just mix accordingly in your mixer using whatever plugins and gain per track.

I would use a “convert to in-place region” on whatever section of the track you want to add additional plugins, copy that region to a new track, and then mute the original region you just converted. That way, you avoid copying the “whole data” and eliminate any notion of switching. Then just mix accordingly in your mixer using whatever plugins and gain per track.

Thanks for detailed instructions!
Now I know exactly how to achieve what I want.

Cheers! :slight_smile: