Plug-in Installation Error

Hi. I’m trying to install the Invada plugin set. I’m using Ubuntu Studio 24.04. Here’s what happened:

tibius@69molotron:~/Downloads/invada-studio-plugins-0.3.1$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -tc
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source package invada-studio-plugins
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source version 0.3.1-1
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source distribution unstable
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source changed by Fraser Stuart (Obleak) <fraser@arkhostings.com>
dpkg-buildpackage: info: host architecture amd64
 dpkg-source --before-build .
 fakeroot debian/rules clean
dh_testdir
dh_testroot
rm -f build-stamp configure-stamp
# Add here commands to clean up after the build process.
/usr/bin/make clean
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/tibius/Downloads/invada-studio-plugins-0.3.1'
rm -f `find . -name "*.so"`
rm -f `find . -name "*.a"`
rm -f `find . -name "*.o"`
rm -f `find .. -name "*~"`
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/tibius/Downloads/invada-studio-plugins-0.3.1'
dh_clean 
dh_clean: error: Compatibility levels before 7 are no longer supported (level 4 requested)
make: *** [debian/rules:49: clean] Error 255
dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules clean subprocess returned exit status 2

I’m not sure where to look next. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Looks like the package is not maintained and build instructions are for a much older distribution.

Also note that invada plugins still use GTK2, which has been deprecated. For that reason they will likely not work with recent Ardour 8.6 anymore.

see also Ardour 8.4 Calf plugins [ERROR]: failed to instantiate LV2 GUI - #4 by x42 (calf and ir.lv2 and phasex, etc are also affected)

Ugh! Okay. I was hoping to just drop in my old plugins and have them work again, but it seems now that this is not likely? Luckily it’s just that compressor, but I use that one a lot. I may have to find a new compressor?

You could also report this issue to Ubuntu first.
In the short term it might still be possible to use that plugin if they fix the packaging.

Mid/Long term: Ardour comes with ACE-Compressor (the official binary also has a GUI), there is a compressor from lsp-plugins, and I can offer one from x42-plugins… and there are also a few more out there…

Thanks for the suggestions. Honestly imho if they wanted to fix the packaging they would have done it already. It’s probably worth it to, as you suggested, just use one of the compressors that comes with Ardour. I’ll have go go back and recompress everything but then again, that might help the process along. There really isn’t anything special about that Invada compressor other than the fact that it was the one that I was using and I was hoping to just drop it in and have all my setting where they were. Thanks!

2 Likes

Unless Ubuntu Studio has masked it for some reason you should be able to install it through the package manager. Or by running sudo apt install invada-studio-plugins-ladspa in a terminal window.
It exists in standard 24.04 at least.