Playlists and comping workflow

Hi, so I was coming back to Pro Tools for a quick session at a friend’s and working with its playlists I remembered how I liked those little arrows for comping.

For anybody wondering what I am talking about min 3:15

I manage with stacked regions mode in Ardour, but maybe I’m missing something that saves me the dragging around for listening? as you can only hear the top region sometimes with that dragging I mess with the sync without noticing, I end up constantly checking the edit menu to see what I have last done.

Can you guys share how do you do your comps? Maybe we can get some ideas from each other : )

1 Like

Well, instead of dragging you can select which region is the “top” region that’ll play. You right-click on the track and somewhere there’s a menu called “properties” or something that’ll have an option for which region is the region that you want to play or to be “on top”.

I use that menu sometimes, but find the dragging faster, riskier but faster xD

1 Like

When working with playlists or regions overlapping, I always toggle the lock mode so that they don’t move around in my timeline

2 Likes

I mute all the stacked regions that I want to comp, then just unmute the one I want to hear, which effectively seems to make it the “top” region. Of course, you have to mute any unmuted regions above the one you’re auditioning. Therefore, I usually mute all regions beforehand and comp (by unmuting individually the regions using Alt+1) from the bottom-most to the top-most region in the stack.

1 Like

This locks regions in every direction right? I would go for something that locked them horizontally but still allowed me to put them on top of each other in the stacked view :thinking:

Middle Mouse Button Drag locks in time.

Seablade
4 Likes

I wanted to get back to this thread and thank you properly @seablade, I didn’t know about the existence of this dragging mode, I’ve been using it these recent months and it is just fantastic. I’m not sure how many people is actually using it, or if they even know about it, but it should be advertised on the welcoming prompt xD

The problem of course is that there are so many features in Ardour it is easy to not know about some that would be very beneficial. That is why these forums exist, along with the manual of course, but even the manual is still missing things I believe, so feel free to submit additions as you notice things not in it. But the more features we put in front the harder it is to find any one of them, thus the problem when you write comprehensive manuals that are hundreds of pages, no one wants to read that much information at once for the few features they actually use in their particular workflow.

Seablade