Playback Multiple MIDI Tracks

Hi folks!
I’m an absolute newbie to DAWs and I’m trying to record some simple music using my MIDI Keyboard and Ardour.

Simple problem: I record a melody track (MIDI), works fine. Playback plays me my track. Then I add a new MIDI track (different instrument) to record chords underneath the melody. So far so good. Then I want to playback both tracks to hear them together - doesn’t work! Ardour only plays the melody track, nothing else. I can’t get Ardoud to playback the chords at all. Muting the melody or having the chord track be “solo” doesn’t help.

What am I missing? How can I playback multiple MIDI tracks at once to hear my composition?

Thanks!

The first thing I would check would be my channel assignments on each MIDI track and how their outputs are being routed. You’ll need to ensure that each is assigned to a MIDI playback device (internal or external) that can accept that channel (1 through 16, or perhaps omni).

If you’re only hearing one of your two MIDI tracks - and remember that MIDI doesn’t make sound but it sends raw data to some kind of device that accepts that data and creates audio sound in response - it’s very likely a MIDI channel assignment.

Best wishes!

1 Like

Thanks! Indeed it had something to do with the out routing, your comment brought me to the right setting and I’m now able to record and listen back without an issue.

1 Like

Excellent - glad to know it got you aimed in the right direction. :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.