Playback doesnt work at all

no, clicking the timecode line doesnt do anything.

maybe i´ll try fedora core with planet ccrma next week, but doing it with my current ubuntustudio version would be the better choice for me atm.

I’m having the same problem running UbuStu. JACK is connected and I’ve checked everything as listed above. It seems this isn’t a singular error.

My ardour session freezed as I was performing an export. After a restart, ardour behaved the same as yours, unable to play.
I restarted jack since all jacked applications were unable to play. Problem solved for me.

Jack’s logs gave me only one hint :
process cycle within freewheel failed

I installed the ardour2-2.1-1.fc7.ccrma.i386.rpm on my IBM Thinkpad running Fedora 7. Worked like a charm. In fact I copied over some tracks I had recorded in CoolEditPro several years back and quickly figured the basics out and mixed down a nice track. Very impressive!

Seeing that my Echo Layla20 is now supported under Linux and by Ardour I decided to dig it out of the garage and stick it in my desktop machine (also running FC7). I installed it and the same Ardour RPM and I am getting the exact same behavior that the original poster in this thread describes. I click the play button and nothing happens. If I double click on a WAV file in the file list for “Add Existing Audio” it doesn’t play like it does on the laptop.

Everything seems to be configured the same. Is there something I can do to debug this? I would have no problem building the SVN version and adding patches, etc.

Thanks!

P.S. No really. Thank you for this app!

I just built the svn head and it didn’t fix the problem.

That this happens when using one soundcard and not another would suggest that the problem lies elsewhere than Ardour. Have you tried to play back via another JACK aware application without using Ardour at all? The easiest way to do this would be to start jackd and then run “jack_metro -b 100” and then use e.g. qjackconnect to connect the output of jack_metro to the JACK playback ports - you should hear a metronomic tone. If this doesn’t provide any output then it would indicate that your soundcard isn’t playing nicely with JACK: it might be useful if you could start jackd from the command line and then paste the entire output. Also checking that non-jack applications can playback directly via this card would be useful.

Actually it works fine on one machine (laptop) and I didn’t think it worked at all on another machine (desktop). It does appear to be JACK related though as I am able to get it to work (somewhat) with my Layla but it doesn’t work at all using the built-in card (C-Media). I thought that setting the timecode to “internal” would effect on whether it uses JACK or not. All my other sound apps have always worked with the internal soundcard (including Hydrogen) but I guess they do not rely on JACK. Hmmm, at least I’m getting somewhere thanks to some pointers of yours. Here’s what ALSA sees:

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: CMI8738MC6 [C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6], device 0: CMI8738-MC6 [C-Media PCI DAC/ADC]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CMI8738MC6 [C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6], device 1: CMI8738-MC6 [C-Media PCI 2nd DAC]
card 0: CMI8738MC6 [C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6], device 2: CMI8738-MC6 [C-Media PCI IEC958]
card 1: Layla20 [Layla20], device 0: Analog PCM [Layla20]
Subdevices: 10/10
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
Subdevice #8: subdevice #8
Subdevice #9: subdevice #9
card 1: Layla20 [Layla20], device 1: Digital PCM [Layla20]
Subdevices: 2/2
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1

Thanks!

I ended up getting it working on my desktop machine with the C-Media (CM8738). I just had to play with the device settings in qjackctl. Now, if only I could get the S/PDIF input working so I can record directly from my Digitech GNX3.

Not trying to sway anyone away from Ubuntu, but if you’re looking for another alternative for everything multimedia, 64Studio Linux is probably the best multimedia distro available. Best part… jack, jackEQ, Ardour, hydrogen, etc… are all preinstalled and work. www.64studio.com