Play track from stack?

Hi there,
Newbie here. I just subscriped to Ardour and hope I can switch from Logic to Ardour entirely.

So:
How can I play a recorded track from a stack?
I manage to play the track I want by moving the track I want to replay on the top of the stack, though I doubt thats how its supposed to be done?

Select the region and press “A” (for audition). That will let you hear only the selected region.

Otherwise I would select all regions, deselect the one you want to hear, then press “ALT+1” to mute all selected. Pressing “ALT+1” again inverts the process. (Actually, you could just mute the ones on top of the one you want to hear, but I find the “select al” method faster).

There are probably other ways.

For example, you could use the “playlist/takes” system (check ardour - the digital audio workstation under Improvements/Playlist management).

Hi and thanks to your Reply @Piergi .
Unfortunately, those keys dont do a thing for me. And I am not sure if we mean the same:
I guess by region you mean a region within the project? What I mean is a record within a a stacked track which appears when you record over a loop.

I found out I could double click a such record and press the “Prehear” (missing term for german “Vorhören”) to have an audible preview of a track. But this of course lacks many things, f.e. the graphical representation to find out if the track fits the metronom.
Kinda hard to explain when youre not mothertongue, I hope you got me here.
Cheers

In Ardour, a “region” is a chunk of audio or MIDI inside a track. A “track” is one of those horizontal lanes you have in the edit window (the one in the screenshot you posted). The track has an header on the left side, where you can set the level, mute or solo and so on [The Ardour Manual].

The red thing with the waveform in your screenshot is called a “region”. The grey things under it are also regions, and they are all layered in the same “track”.

So far for the terminology :slight_smile:

1. In my Ardour, when I select a region and then press “A” it starts to play and I hear only the selected region (the one marked in red). During the play, if I click on another region (in your example “Take14_Audio 3-1.4”) this last one will turn red and I will hear it. You will also notice the “solo” button at very top of the window turn red.

2. If you press “ALT+1” the selected region(s) will be muted (it changes colour and in its name you will notice a “!!”). If there are stacked regions you will hear the regions under it, like if it was not there (it became “transparent”). You can also right click nameOfTheRegion->gain->mute like in the screenshot below.

There are a few posts dealing with that situation, for instance this one: Playlist Selector / takes: questions

HIH

Hey @Piergi ,
Wow thanks a lot for that extensive answer there!
I have not looked up the thread again and Im grateful for you effort here, will try everything out.
And:
Another thanks for clarifying the ardour terminology, will be of use Im pretty sure :wink:
Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.