place the plyhead when clicking on the region timeline?

Hi.
Is it possible to click somewhere on the timeline, just right before or after an audio region, and place the plyaback head there? RIght now i have to go up on the “timecode” track, in the top of the edit window, to place the playback head. My normal workflow (from pro tools), is that i can click right next to a audio region (not in the top of the editor) and place the playback head that way.

I don’t think so, but you can use the p key binding to place the playhead where is your mouse cursor.

youki is correct. Use the “p” button or click in the rulers, not the tracks. We have to differentiate between click-to-select-{region,track} and click-to-place playhead. When in the tracks area, click is always to select.

Ok. Is just seems like a slow way of editing. Constantly have to press a button or clicking the timecode line. Any way this might change in the future?
To me, its really essential for fast editing

How can it change? What happens when the track you’re editing has a region spanning its entire length (or all tracks have regions that span the current visible part of the session) ? How can the software differentiate between “move the playhead here” and “select this region” when all modifiers are already in use for selection and other operations? How can you select a track without moving the playhead and without having to move the mouse pointer all the way to the left to click in the track header. How can you move the playhead to the middle a region?

If you watch videos of people using DAWs, they routinely combine use of the mouse and keyboard.

@the19thbear

You are replacing a mouse button click with a keystroke, that is literally the only change, it should be as fast, and for those of us used to working with the ‘one hand on mouse, one hand on keyboard’ style of working it is actually a bit faster to do this, especially when combined with shortcuts like ‘S’, ‘J’, ‘K’, etc.

I suspect you think it is slow only because you aren’t used to it for the record.

Seablade

Im not sure i understand:)
Default, in pro tools, edit selection and playback head are linked. If you drag across an area in a region, the playback head location will be at the beginning point of the dragged area.

Say you are editing a vocal. you want to play from right before the vocal region. you click (on the track) right before the region and press play. Then you cut out some pauses in the vocal, and you click on the track, right before the newly cut-out part, to check if it sounds ok. No need to go up and down from the timeline to the region you are editing. You can always stay on the region you are editing. Makes sense?

I dont want to make this a DAW war thread, but it seems counter-intuitive to have to do the up and down thing:) I just want to know if it can be done i ardour, but apperently not.

Thanks for taking the time though.

Say you are editing a vocal. you want to play from right before the vocal region. you click (on the track) right before the region and press play. Then you cut out some pauses in the vocal, and you click on the track, right before the newly cut-out part, to check if it sounds ok. No need to go up and down from the timeline to the region you are editing. You can always stay on the region you are editing. Makes sense?

Ardour is the same thing, except replace the clicking of the mouse button with the ‘P’ shortcut. In fact I find it easier and quicker to work in ardour, as I only have to hover the mouse and select the appropriate keystroke in many cases, ‘S’ to split a region, ‘J’ and ‘K’ to trim the region. If I audition a region, and cut out a breath and want to listen to it, I place the playhead once by hitting ‘P’, split the region and trim it, and hit space without replacing that playhead as it hasn’t moved at all. Same thing to listen to a couple of modifications of a trim point to make sure it sounds good.

It literally is one mouse button vs one keyboard hit is the only difference. Everything else is the same if not faster.

Seablade

@the19thbear

I should point out that the ‘moving up’ to move the playhead is not the norm for most people, and especially not for my students I teach as it is slow I will agree, at least for these operations, the ‘P’ keystroke is much faster when working like this.

Seablade

re: protools “linked edit selection” … ardour has this too. Just left of the transport control, enable “Follow Edits”. The playhead will then follow both object and range selections.

Say you are editing a vocal. you want to play from right before the vocal region. you click (on the track) right before the region and press play

and if there’s no open space before the vocal region? What do you click on then?

in ardour you can either (a) engage follow edits and then click inside the region to select it or (b) press the “p” button with the hand that isn’t on the mouse, rather than the left button with the hand that is on the mouse.

your choice.

Thanks everyone. I will try the link think Paul mentioned. I might return of I mess stuff up;)
This daw seems really nice so far!

Ok. So i fiddlede around some more:)
If i have the grab mode on, I can edit regions without having to select them first. If i activate the smart tool as well, i have to select the region first before i can edit it (trim, crossfades etc). Is there a way to have the smart tool and the grab tool at the same time, but still be able to edit a region without having to click it first?

Hmm. fixed by removing the app and reinstalling it… or something:)