pan issues

Hi,
I’ve been using Ardour in a studio environment for almost a year now. I cant seem to enable panning on any of my mixer strips for this project. Never had issues before and there are two output channels per strip. Ideas?

Hi, I have a problem I can’t figure out:
When I try to pan a stereo track, the only thing that happens is, that for expample when I pan it (Line 1 + Line 2) to the right, there’s simply no more signal output shown at the channel strip at the left. Seems normal up to here.

But the sound still can be heard on both sides and also in the master channel strip there appears a signal on both channels (L + R)…
What am I doing wrong?

I use Ardour 2.7.1

osterchrisi,
You don’t have a prefader send to a bus perhaps?

No, I don’t, also no post fader send…
The only effect I get from panning the track is to half the signal…

/edit
I just figured out, that when I choose Out1+2 from my soundcard directly and not the Master Out as Output I can pan the signal - if that is of any help…

Try to (button-1-)klick on the small one-letter button right below the pan area and set it to “manual”. Does it work now?

If Out1/2 works (i.e. connecting the track directly to your soundcard) then that seems to indicate there’s something wrong in your Master track/setup.
Check your connections in qjackctl and make sure the tracks are connected to Master/in and Master/out is connected to system:playback.

I checked and double checked, but there’s nothing wrong here…
I doesn’t work with other stereo tracks either.

I have the feeling, this maybe caused by some kind of monitoring problem…?
In Jack I do not check the ‘Monitor’ checkbox, in Ardour none of the Monitoring settings changes anything…

Does anyone have a clue about this or experience the same situation?

/edit
I just tried to open another project I created after this one, and there stereo panning seems to work, if that is of any help…
But plz believe me, there are no malicious connections :slight_smile: I tried about twenty times now…

I had the same problem myself. In my case the problem was that the master track stereo faders were both set to the centre position rather than left to the left and right to the right! Doh!