Novation Launchkey MK3 37 midimap

Not sure if this is the right category.

I just bought the Novation Launchkey MK3 37, and I started to write a Midimap for it. I took as template the Novation Launchkey 49 that comes with Ardour.

Once done, I will post it here (or on Github) for others to use.
So far I mapped the transport keys and the next/previous track buttons.

As the buttons on the controller don’t really have an unique correspondence in the Ardour interface (I guess they are made with Ableton Live in mind, but I am on Linux so not sure about it, never used it) I will have to just try and map the actions that are most useful/frequent.

If somebody has the same controller (or the versions with 25/49/61 keys) we can coordinate ourselves on the choice of the controls to map.

For example, I didn’t manage to make the ‘select bank’ stuff to work—I am not even sure what it is supposed to do, help on this topic would be greatly appreciated—so I decided to map actions mostly to the selected track instead (like arm track for recording, mute track).

Are there suggestions on this topic?

Edit: I have a side question: in Ardour when I connect the controller I get two possibilities: Launchkey MIDI and Launchkey DAW (or something similar). The DAW one doesn’t seem to work (or maybe I am doing something wrong, this is my first ever MIDI device), and the MIDI tracer doesn’t react to any key.

Does someone know what it is supposed to be? The Novation website has little to no information, except on how to use the device with Ableton. (I found it, it is in the Programmer’s Reference Guide. Still not completely clear how to put it to use, I need more time to study the manual :-/)

Second side question: is this even the right device to use with Ardour in Linux? I bought it mostly because of the reviews saying that it is a solid build, and because the 37-key looks like just the right size for me. Were I better off with some other controller? I still have 30 days to return it :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.