NoteOff Event Truncates First MIDI Note on Loop Range

Hi all,

I’m not sure if this is the right place, but I couldn’t find an answer about this anywhere so far. I was wondering if the following observation is a bug or a feature in Ardour 6.9.0 (rev 6.9) on Manjaro with ALSA audio backend:

If you have a midi track and loop a bar with a single midi note in it from the beginning of the bar to the end, the note is only played on the first pass and is cut off on each subsequent loop.

This is mainly because each loop starts with a midi event “NoteOff”, as far as I can tell in MIDI Tracer. But this “NoteOff” - even if it occurs before the “NoteOn” midi event in the tracer - comes with a higher delta time than the “NoteOn” event. This means that it makes perfect sense to me that the note is truncated!

If I shorten the midi note, the delta times somehow are in plausible order,

but there is no fundamental difference.

In fact, it’s extremely annoying that this happens and makes looping midi ranges - in addition to problems #7947 and #8128 - almost, if not completely, unusable for me.

Is there any way to work around this behavior other than not looping midi ranges at all?

Short version, this is being worked on currently in prep for A7. Timing in general and specifically MIDI timing is getting a massive overhaul in v7, but that won’t be available for some time. Not sure if there is a decent workaround for you at this time though, sorry.

Seablade

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.