Not able to add more than 9 tracks

With the most recent updates in Fedora 19 and Ardour 3.5 I am no longer able to open my old session whcih have more than 9 tracks and or busses. Also if I create a new session I can add only up to 9 mono tracks, or any combination of mono/stereo tracks with up to 9 inputs. I have an emu 1212 card and I was able to record up to all 12 channels from it (using external adat ada8000).

I am getting this error once the limit is reached:

[ERROR]: unable to create port: failed constructor
[ERROR]: could not create 1 new audio track

Same error when trying to add a buss or stereo or mono track. Also same error when trying to open an older session.

I am able to record with Reaper under wine on the same computer.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Regards,
Frank

Most of the time if you can’t add more tracks, you should take a look at the configuration of jack. Probably it’s limited in the configuration.

cajmere it seems that you pointed to the right thing … although I don’t see any limits in jackd that would cause this. This is the command line which starts jackd (max number of ports is set to 128):

/usr/bin/jackd -P89 -p128 -t2000 -dalsa -r44100 -p512 -n2 -Xseq -D -Chw:EMU1010,2 -Phw:EMU1010,0 -i16 -o2 -zr

When I run reaper in wine, it also uses jackd and I can see that 12 inputs are connected to reaper.

Now I tried setting max number of ports to 256 and ardour seems to be able to create more than 9 inputs.

I seem to be ok now, still don’t understand why would max number of ports set to 128 limit ardour to only 9 inputs?

Thanks,
Frank

There are more ports than you would think involved in setting up Ardour IIRC. For instance Click/Audition/etc. I can’t tell you if that number seems high or low based off your experience, except to say 128 is a really low number for most people to use;)

Seablade

128 is really low, i have mine set at 2048 (default settings)