Noise in bass sound

Hi all,

I have a newbie question.

When I play for example the C3 note in Surge-Bass-Digibass (Arodur6.9), I hear a background noise, like a vibration.
Is it a problem with my hardware or is it inherent with that plugin?
Do you hear it?
Can that noise be removed without distorting the sound?
The problem is that if I export a wav file, that noise remains in the recording.
(Lowering the gain inside Surge actually reduces this noise, but the sound becomes very weak).

I have given a particular example, but this problem is generally valid for some bass sounds, even for some low percussion.
Thanks for any advice.

a.

[I use Ardour 6.9.0 on Ubuntu 18.04]

What speakers are you using? Something could be rattling in your speakers, or even in your room. One room I listen in has some decorative items on the wall which rattle and buzz when certain frequencies are played. A flat television with built-in speakers has something loose which buzzes with certain low frequencies.

Hi, I listen to audio with headphones.

You can try it yourself by playing the notes below G3 and listen to whether or not there is noise.
You can try with:

-SurgeXT, basses: Digibass

-SurgeXT, basses: Bass3

Thanks,

a.

Yes, I can definitely hear it as well. I only had a few minutes to check this morning, so no time to look with a spectrum analyzer, but to me it sounds like a slow modulation that is adding a low frequency component to the sound which overloads something in the signal chain. It sounded worse in my headphones than in my speakers. You could try a high pass filter at around 40Hz and see if that helps.

I tried a really steep high pass filter and that did not help, so must be something other than very low frequencies causing the noise.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.