No Sound with Dummy output

Hi All
Lost all sound since last update on Ubuntu studio 20.04
Cannot start Jack or studio controls.
Alsamixer shows my FCA 1616 as card no 1 also the FCA has a clock signal as blue light is stable.

Been about 3 days now.

Here is some output to see if anything stands out.

In Ubuntu studio controls
I get system tweaks and nothing else.

The Carla patchbay is empty.

Qjackctl will not open at all.

Command line gives this:

studio@studio:~$ qjackctl
qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
Warning: no translation found for ‘en_GB’ locale: /usr/share/qjackctl/translations/qjackctl_en_GB.qm

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }
CK was stopped
20:53:41.118 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Server communication error. Please check the messages window for more info.
Cannot read socket fd = 23 err = Success
CheckRes error
JackSocketClientChannel read fail
Cannot open qjackctl client
JackShmReadWritePtr1::~JackShmReadWritePtr1 - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock

20:53:33.917 JACK was stopped

20:53:41.118 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Server communication error. Please check the messages window for more info.

Cannot read socket fd = 23 err = Success

CheckRes error

JackSocketClientChannel read fail

Cannot open qjackctl client

JackShmReadWritePtr1::~JackShmReadWritePtr1 - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock

Also this output from Jack:

ps aux | grep jack
studio 2492 0.0 0.0 39300 20256 ? Ss 21:44 0:00 /usr/bin/python3 -u /usr/bin/autojack
studio 10072 0.1 0.0 96904 9904 ? Ss 22:51 0:00 /usr/bin/jackdbus auto
studio 10165 0.8 0.1 250560 95312 ? SLsl 22:51 0:00 /usr/bin/jackd -T -ndefault -t 200 -p 2048 -R -T -d alsa -n 2 -r 48000 -p 512 -d hw:FCA1616,0 -X raw
studio 10284 0.0 0.0 9044 656 pts/0 S+ 22:52 0:00 grep --color=auto jack

As you can see the FCA is setup correctly.

Does this make any sense to anyone?

System has been running for a couple of years

What could cause a complete failure of the whole sound system , it did an upgrade to a new Kernel and seems to still work.

THinking of updating the OS to the new Beta LTS but would rather wait till the full release.

Thanks for you help
Cheers Bob

I am not exactly certain what is going on here, in your title you mention using the dummy output? Is that actually what you have Ardour set to use? If that is the case that is exactly what you should expect, the dummy output is literally that, it doesn’t have any capability to produce sound. It looks like you are trying to use Jack though in the post? And I am likely to follow up with is the ALSA output not an option for you?

Seablade

Hi
Thanks for the reply,
The dummy output is showing in the sound app and stops all sound on the system.
But I have an update:
Ok
I installed and resized the disk for the new 22.04 LTS studio
Installed the new os which doesn’t show in grub??

PC Booted into older 20.04 lts and the sound works!!!

How does installing another os fix the sound on the older one?
Really strange wonder if the system will become unstable,

Cheers All

Hi All
I have upgraded to Jelly fish 22.04 LTS all good so far.
Getting used to the plasma desktop, mmmm
cheers

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.