No sound to speakers on mac

Hello,

I have sound coming into Ardour via soundflower which I can see in the mixer. But no sound is output to the speakers.

Here is a screenshot of what I am seeing.

Is there additional configuration I need to set up? I’m on OSX Catalina - 10.15.5

I know that this set up works with Reaper so I don’t think there is anything weird with my overall audio setup.

Thanks

Creating an aggregate device solved the issue.

I was confused by this page
https://manual.ardour.org/setting-up-your-system/using_more_than_one_audio_device/
which I didn’t read very carefully.

I think another sentence or two to clarify this for new users, especially those who haven’t dealt with aggregate devices before, would be really useful. Even just changing:

“In CoreAudio, aggregate devices provide a method to use multiple soundcards as a single device. For example, two eight-channel devices can be aggregated so that 16 channels can be recorded in Ardour.”

to something like

“In CoreAudio, aggregate devices provide a method to use multiple soundcards and/or virtual audio drivers at the same time. For example, two eight-channel devices can be aggregated so that 16 channels can be recorded in Ardour, or a virtual audio driver (Blackhole, Soundflower or similar) might be used for input at the same time as using an audio interface or built-in headphone jack for output.”
That’s if I’m understanding it correctly…!

This wasn’t necessary for me (2 different laptops just work with Built-in input & output):
“In the case of a builtin audio device, an aggregate device that combines “Builtin Input” and “Builtin Output” into one device needs to be created.”

I’d make suggestions for the manual at GIT hub but I’m not confident that I understand the possible variations.

Thanks for your reply. I went ahead and created a pull request.

Hopefully it will be helpful for others if it gets merged.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.