No Sound after closing Ardour 3

after I worked in Ardour I close Ardour, but then I have no sound (e.g youtube, mp3 …) do I have to reset my sounddirver?
i have linux mint rebecca installed and internal soundcard in my samsung p550l laptop.

when i restart the whole system the sound works again.

thank you,

bigjuergo

If JACK is not running when you start Ardour 3 it will start it for you, but it doesn’t stop it again when you quit Ardour. It’s just left running in the background flummoxing any non-JACK aware programs that try to use your sound card.

Actually Ardour does tells JACK to quit when Ardour terminates. On some systems - most notably Ubuntu 14.XX - this fails, because those system ship a buggy version of jackd

PS. you can work-around by running “killall -9 jackd jackbus” in a terminal.

…or get a newer version of jackd.

Thx for the answers,
Is it not possible to switch between youtube and ardour?
Does Ardour block the Soundcard?
I ve the same problem with my external komplete audio 6 usb card.
The usb card works in ardour, but not after and outside ardour.

nachdem ich “killall -9 jackd jackbus” eingebe bekomme ich “jackbus: Kein Prozess gefunden”

during i have opend ardour i can not play any sound files. the video stops imedately at 0seconds.
when i close ardour and type “sudo /sbin/alsa force-reload” i get (playing sound is working afterwards, although there is an error message of pulsaudio, which i desinstalled before)

Terminating processes: 11887
11887 10385 12302
12302 12529
12529 (with SIGKILL:) 12756
12756 (failed: processes still using sound devices: 12983(pulseaudio)).
/sbin/alsa: Warning: Processes using sound devices: 12983(pulseaudio).
Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-soc-sst-acpi snd-seq-midi snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device snd-soc-rt5640 snd-soc-rl6231 snd-soc-core snd-compress snd-pcm-dmaengine snd-hda-codec-realtek snd-hda-codec-generic snd-hda-codec-hdmi snd-hda-intel snd-hda-controller snd-hda-codec snd-hwdep snd-pcm snd-timer (failed: modules still loaded: snd-hda-codec-realtek snd-hda-codec-generic snd-hda-codec-hdmi snd-hda-intel snd-hda-controller snd-hda-codec snd-hwdep snd-pcm snd-timer).
Loading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-soc-sst-acpi snd-seq-midi snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device snd-soc-rt5640 snd-soc-rl6231 snd-soc-core snd-compress snd-pcm-dmaengine snd-hda-codec-realtek snd-hda-codec-generic snd-hda-codec-hdmi snd-hda-intel snd-hda-controller snd-hda-codec snd-hwdep snd-pcm snd-timer.

Yes, JACK requires exclusive access to the soundcard.
see the “How can I play audio from … via JACK?” part at http://jackaudio.org/faq/
Most Linux distributions set this up automatically. When JACK starts, pulseaudio switches to use JACK. There is seamless integration.
However some distros don’t do this out-of-the-box or get this wrong in various ways.

“killall -9 jackd jackbus” eingebe bekomme ich “jackbus: Kein Prozess gefunden”

that’s fine. You either have “jackd” or “jackdbus”. The command tries to terminate both (I didn’t know which one you use). In your case it will have terminated “jackd”. Pulseaudio should automatically restart and desktop audio return.

thx x42 it works!

if i put in “killall -9 jackd” i can play sound again after i quit ardour.

is there a possibility to open ardour and play sounds (*.mp3, videos …) in parallel with an external player or browser?

install the “pulseaudio-module-jack” package that should make pulseaudio auto-connect to jack and get browser/external player audio working…
Then again, if you’re using Ubuntu 14.XX, you may run into some more bugs there, but I don’t know the details.