No more tracks available?!

Hello everybody,

I am working on a session and I’ve already recorded 12 tracks (plus 17 imported tracks from the drum machine).

I need to add a couple of more tracks but when I do it the following message appear:

[ERROR]: could not create a new audio track
[ERROR]: AudioEngine: cannot register port “Audio 1/out 2”: No more JACK ports are available. You will need to stop Ardour and restart JACK with ports if you need this many tracks.

What does it mean to “restart JACK with ports”?

That means that you ran out of ports (not tracks), you go to JACK Control -> Setup and set “Port Maximum” to the highest setting, then Save and OK. You have to restart JACK to actually apply it.

Ardour has unlimited tracks itself, but JACK has a certain quantity of ports that has to be defined before starting because it has to set up the memory for them.

For reference, if you are not using QJackCTL, which is what is mentioned in the above post, but instead starting Jack from Ardour itself, then what you are looking for can be found in the Audio/MIDI Setup dialog when you first start it, under Options. There is a box there you can type in a number of available ports, the default I think is 128, which is actually very low. You should probably use 256 or 512 for most people I suspect.

Seablade

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I did what you told me to do but now I get another message error:

17:45:10.983 D-BUS: JACK server could not be started. Sorry
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started
Sat Jul 6 17:45:10 2013: Starting jack server…
Sat Jul 6 17:45:10 2013: JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
Sat Jul 6 17:45:10 2013: e[1me[31mERROR: Cannot lock down 82246176 byte memory area (Cannot allocate memory)e[0m
Sat Jul 6 17:45:10 2013: control device hw:1
Sat Jul 6 17:45:10 2013: control device hw:1
Sat Jul 6 17:45:10 2013: e[1me[31mERROR: Failed to acquire device name : Audio1 error : Cannot allocate memorye[0m
Sat Jul 6 17:45:10 2013: e[1me[31mERROR: Audio device hw:1 cannot be acquired…e[0m
Sat Jul 6 17:45:10 2013: e[1me[31mERROR: Cannot initialize drivere[0m
Sat Jul 6 17:45:10 2013: e[1me[31mERROR: JackServer::Open() failed with -1e[0m
Sat Jul 6 17:45:10 2013: e[1me[31mERROR: Failed to open servere[0m
17:45:13.300 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started
Sat Jul 6 17:45:12 2013: Saving settings to “/home/almuzura/.config/jack/conf.xml” …
17:45:16.982 ALSA connection graph change.
17:45:17.081 ALSA connection change.

As a newbie, I don’t understand the error message.
I’ve already tried to reboot the system but the problem persists. How can I solve this issue?

P.S. Seablade, although I cannot start Jack, I could change the number of ports from Ardour itself. Thank you!

@Almuzura

These messages indicate a problem in how you are trying to start jack obviously. Specifically my first question is, are you using JackDBus, and how are you starting Jack, via QJackCTL or via Ardour? It seems like the most likely cause might be that you are trying to call jackdbus which doesn’t exist on your system and you should instead be calling jackd, but this is only one possibility of several.

Seablade

Seablade, thank you for the reply.
I’m starting Jack via QJackCTL.

I don’t even know what JackDBus is :slight_smile:

@seablade: Actually if you look closely at the timestamps you will note the first message happened after the initial chain of events, but it somehow was printed earlier.

I think it’s more telling that it couldn’t lock the memory. Check the /etc/security/limits.conf, the line that says “@audio memlock” should have at least ^that much in it (82246176).

Good morning,
It seems the error has fixed itself today!
Thank you for your always prompt and kind help!