no monitoring while playing song

Hi,

I plug in my guitar. When I do not hit the [play] button, monitoring works (setting is Options -> Monitoring -> Ardour does monitoring). As soon as I do hit it, I don’t hear my guitar anymore. I only hear it again when I arm it’s track for recording and hit [record] and [play].

i have tried a few things, like pre/post/input fader settings, a few jack patchbay settings (maybe not the correct ones).

Anyone has a hint?

Thanks in advance,

Arie.

That is how it works. When you are in play you are playing back what is on the harddrive. Dropping into record, by definition, switches to your input.

There has been some discussion on some more sophisticated monitoring options, but they have yet to be implemented.

Hmm,

ok.

Still, this happened after having reinstalled the entire OS. In the previous installation it did work. Shouldn’t that work? Have ardour do monitoring, play the already recorded tracks from disk while playing guitar into a non-armed track. I am pretty sure I had that working in my previous install.

Thanks.

Have ardour do monitoring, play the already recorded tracks from disk while playing guitar into a non-armed bus. I am pretty sure I had that working in my previous install.

TFTFY.

:wink:

Seablade

Hi,

Ardour does monitoring. You arm the track. You can hear what you are playing, OK.

Now, hit play (no record) and you can’t hear what you are playing, only the previously recorded tracks, isn’t it?. You only can monitor if you are actually recording the track, right?

I guess you have “Auto Input” button enabled… Keep the track armed, disable “Auto Input” and try again.

Cheers, Pablo

I I am pretty bummed by this. It might sense from a technical viewpoint, but it sucks for a workflow I imagine most people have:

Fiddle.around on a track
When it sounds okay create a new track
Jam along to what you already have until melody and / or sound are as you want it (Train to play cleanly what you developed)
Record that idead
Move on tot he next rack / instrument or edit previous track
Repeat until content.

Are you really saying I can’t do that in Ardour? Or am I missing some secret option? Because if that’s not possible, I am out.I like really like Ardour so far, but if that’s not possible without recording all the time, my workflow is stopped in the tracks. Or is that the intended way? Record all the time and throw away? I don’t know why, but I feel very uncomfortable doing that.

Well actually recording and trying to do that doesn’t work as well, because it then jumps out of loop mode.

This thread is 8 years old, and is very out of date.

http://manual.ardour.org/ardours-interface/audio-midi-mixer-strips/

Always check the manual