No audio coming out of Ardour 6

I have more or less got a clean install of Ardour and I have no audio output. I did have audio coming out until I decided to try setting up JACK - I followed a couple of (fairly old) tutorials on getting things set up:

This basically involved:

1. Install the Linux low latency Kernel
  2. Configure real time access (I didnt actually do anything here, this was already done - presumably handled with the Ardour install)
  3. Add the KXStudio repository
  4. Install pulseaudio-module-jack
  5. Install QjackCtl

After following these steps and fiddling around with QjackCtl, I’ve had to audio out of Ardour. I’ve tried to undo these steps, uninstalled and re-installed ardour, and I still have no audio output.

Hardware-wise, I just have my laptop (running Linux Mint 20.1) and a basic USB headset connected, nothing else.

I have tried using the ALSA audio system, specifying HDA Intel PCH as the output device (presumably this is my on-board audio device) and have tried specifying USB Audio Device, and I get no audio (this worked before following the steps above).

I have also tried Jack with similar settings, however I know nothing about how to configure this (from what I understand it’s more complicated and is suitable for more complicated setups, however I dont think it should be necessary for my USB headset

Anyone able to help out with this? I’ve ended up in a state where Ardour is completely unusable and I’ve no idea how to fix it :frowning: I do have a backup that I can restore as a plan B, but I’d like to try and understand what’s went wrong and fix it if possible.

Thanks!

1 Like

Is there a reason why you want or need JACK? You’re usually better off without it.

I was unable to have both my general laptop audio (browser etc) and Ardour audio going through my headphones using ALSA (unless I had it set up wrong). So thought I would try and see if I could do that with Jack.

Switching between ardour and, for example, YouTube (which for me is crucial while learning) was tedious - headphones on for making changes to my track, headphones off to watch some tutorial stuff on YouTube.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.