Nightly makes official versions unable to start

After i installed and started nightly version 173, all official versions of ardour9 fail to start, all nightlies still start.

  1. If i mv ~/.config/ardour9 out of the way, the official versions starts again.
  2. A different user can also start all official versions (no nightly started there)
  3. Ardour8 starts fine
  4. I mv ~/.config/ardour9; Ardour9.8 starts again. I close the session, use nightly version 173, close that one, and then Ardour9.8 fails to start again

So it seems i can be sure it is version 173 wich does “something” to ~/.config/ardour9.
I didn’t test yet if the same happens with other nightlies. (and no, it doesn’t make sense to me, but little i know).

thats the last thing i see if starting 9.8 from terminal:

terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘PBD::unknown_enumeration’ what(): unknown enumerator WallClock in PBD::EnumWriter

PS: I was not fully right. nightly 169 starts, nightly 155 fails to start too.

Yes, I can confirm this issue. After I installed and started nightly 9.8.178, Official Ardour 9.8-1 doesn’t start anymore.
Coredump in /var/lib/systemd/coredump generated.

This is normal when new configuration variables or types are added, that older versions don’t know about.

I expect the breaking change to be 9.8-163-ga02bb9ece4, so from there on the way is forward to 9.9.0.

Ardour is backward compatible (new versions can read and load data from older versions of Ardour), but not forward compatible.

The older version can’t start at all, it crashes before even offering to load a session, isn’t this unusual / unexpected ?