New to Ardour and fairly new to Linux, any advice in how to go about a couple of things would be fantastic

Hi,

Sorry for posting such basic questions here but being new to both Ardour and Linux I am in danger of wasting a lot of time going round in circles. If I can find a way to make things work it will allow me to move over to Linux for everything which I am really keen to do. I come from using Cubase (PC) with an RME Crybaby Audio Interface. All I need to do is record classical instruments (violins/cellos etc) through a couple of Mic’s and then mix them using a convolution reverb. Up till now I have been using Altiverb for the reverb.
I appreciate it is very unlikely that I will find myself using Altiverb in Linux as I doubt it is possible but there might be something out there which will do the job?

I can’t find any evidence that my RME Crybaby will work in Linux so I need to potentially find an alternative. Can anyone suggest a good mobile alternative that won’t be too far off quality wise that will work with Linux? It needs to be USB so I can use it with a few different computers as I need to record live or drive things like Pianoteq on the move.

I am using Linux Mint 14 presently and have downloaded the latest version of Ardour which I am enjoying playing around with. Downloaded a plugin but currently the installation advice is way ahead of where I am with Linux so a long journey ahead…should be worth it though.

Any advice really appreciated, specific audio interface etc an M-audio or RME usb device that is known to work, anything really.

Many Thanks,

Tom

Thanks for that, interesting timing from RME, currently it looks as though people are trying but not got it working YET, might end up being possible though. I am thinking about purchasing a soundcard for my desktop unit in the meantime but will also test out an M-audio unit that the list claimed might work to a point.

Very useful info regarding kxstudio packages thank you, will certainly see what I can make use of.

You might like to look at

http://www.linuxdsp.co.uk

for nice plugins that are really easy to install.

They sound pretty good too !

Tom, the “convert4chan” is a util only needed if the IR files you download are not true Quad IR files. It turns them into Quads.

That said, MOST IR files are simply going to be stereo and aren’t going to need conversion. The last Bircasti M7 IRs I downloaded were already Quad, so no conversion was needed.

I just looked at the RME website and it says they have a firmware update to make the RME Babyface USB Audio 2.0 Class Compliant. This should make the Babyface work in linux.

Also, since you are using linux mint I suggest you install audio packages from the kxstudio repository which has many things available like IR which will save you a lot of trouble. Here are some instructions for that: http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9666&p=31011&hilit=mint#p31011

I can confirm that the RME Babyface basically works if you apply the patch
mentioned in the thread about the Focusrite Scarlett.
So, there seems to be a general issue with USB2 class compliant driver in ALSA.
The mixer doesn’t work! But I can see all i/o in qjackctl (10 x in, 12 x out).
Only had time to test the playback with the phones-out so far. Works fine.
3 times 128 samples of buffer size for jack seems to work reliable
using the stock kernel of ARCH with is a low-latency kernel, I think.

Regards,
Michael

Hi Tom,

as for USB 2 interface, I am using this one:

It sounds good and works fine under Linux Mint 9, Ubuntu 10.04 and so on - installation under Linux Mint was much less complicated than it got under Windows XP ;-), I didn’t even need to use the installation CD.

Michael