New Grid-lines do not Appear Unless "Snap" is Turned on

According to the manual, Ardour “will draw lines at selected intervals as chosen in the drop-down selector.” The manual also mentions that “Ardour tries not to show “too many” or “too few” grid lines depending on the zoom level.” However I could find no reference to grid lines only appearing after snap is turned on.

This is what happened:

1. I was zoomed in quite closely as I was simulating “diamonds” (arpeggiated guitar chords).
  2. I had “Snap” turned off for the same reason.
  3. I had been working at 1/8th note grid resolution, but decided I wanted to place a diamond 1/16 before the beat. I did not want the notes snapped to that 1/16th - just needed to grid-line to help me place the arpeggio.
  4. So I changed the grid scale in the drop-down box to 16th notes, but nothing happened.
  5. I read the relevant section in the manual, but could find no reason that the extra lines were not appearing - especially since I was zoomed in so close.
  6. Just by chance I happened to notice the grid-lines appear after turning on “Snap” and changing the resolution again. Problem solved, but mostly due to good luck.

I don’t know whether this behaviour is intentional or not - I can’t think of a good use case for it but that’s just me. Also, now I know how to change the resolution, it’s really not so inconvenient. However, at least it would be good to mention this in the manual. I think there must be others that need a visual reference without the actual notes being quantised.

The intended operation is for grid lines to be visible whether Snap is ON or OFF. If you don’t want to see grid lines, you have to choose ‘None’ for the grid.

Anecdotally I’ve seen my grid lines disappear occasionally. Zooming in & out generally makes them re-appear but it’s almost certainly a bug that needs to be fixed.

Thanks for that - I suspected so. In that case, when I have some time I’ll submit a proper bug report.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.