Need help with quantization

Ardour’s manual for quantization focuses more on ‘what to do’ and not the ‘how to do it’, and all the Youtube videos I studied on the subject skip steps, rendering them useless. So I am hoping someone at this forum with the gift of teaching will help me.

I want to quantize a section of an audio track. What seems logical to me is to work in Edit mode and select the section in the waveform; since doing so permits finding the start and end points of the section to be quantized. But in Edit mode, the items in the “Region” drop-down menu disappear. There must be another way. Can someone share the steps to quantizing a section of an audio track? If that is not possible, what are the steps to snapping all the beats in a track to a selected grid?

Internal edit mode is for MIDI and automation data only. If you want to shift portions of audio in Ardour, you have to split your audioregion into appropriate snippets and move these around (the rythm ferret can help with this), the TimeFX mode also can help by stretching audio while keeping pitch.

See also this thread.

Quantization is for MIDI. Not audio.

If that is not possible, what are the steps to snapping all the beats in a track to a selected grid?

Practice more until you’re ready to record.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.