Need a little help

Wow thanks linuxDSP for the link. It seems basic to developers but to someone like me I have to watch it a few times lol. What kind of frames/period are you guys using?

I’ve seen that a lot of times: distros performing better in live mode than installed, if anyone knows why please explain us, I never found the cuñprit. I can only guess this has somethign to do with either the autoconfiguration system where the hardware may end up in subtly different states when initialized by the live scripts and the installed version, or a few things at the system level (what?) being sipped when in live mode.

It’s true either way^, your HDD has nothing to do with the problem. I should mention your USB is probably slower than the HDD, unless you’re using one of those fancy USBs that I’d like to have.

Nothing fancy about the USB stick. Just a generic 4gb stick.

Well out of all the distros I’ve tried on this laptop Linux Mint with KXStudio seems to be what’s best for it. I’ve tried Dreamstudio, AVLinux, KXStudio-12.04, and my favorite my Beyond Linux From Scratch build lol.(JK) Nothing against the other distros but Mint just seems to work for me. I’m able to get it solid at 256 and mostly solid at 128. I’ve tried setting rtprio’s, switching kernels, changing jack settings and still can’t reliably go lower than 256 with my laptop. I’m all out of ideas.

Hey guys. Sorry to bring this thread back up. I wanted to update. So I haven’t been ablte to get past 512 frames without xruns so I decided to try out a RT kernel. Well that seems to help a ton. I can get 128 frames with the onboard sound and no xruns and 128 with my firewire interface with no xruns. So the RT kernel helped a lot.