Multitrack recording

I am wondering if it is possible for me to record into multiple tracks in Ardour at once using my mixer. I am using a Alesis Multimix 8 USB mixer and Ubuntu 10.10. Normally I play by myself and overdub everything into separate tracks which works great.

I am getting ready to play with some people so I have a question about multiple instruments at once. I have tried before with multiple instruments at once and can record them all into one track in Ardour, but I was wondering if there is a way to split each channel from the mixer into separate tracks in Ardour.

@paul

I thought I remembered seeing there IS now a class for devices to be compliant with for USB2, it is just that so many devices already exist that aren’t class compliant that it is relatively unknown for the most part. There are a few exceptions though, I believe the SoundDevices USBPre falls under this IIRC.

Seablade

I do not own that mixer, but if what it is written on the Alesis website about it: “10-direct outputs to your computer for recording” means that the interface sends 10 separate tracks to the PC, you can absolutely do it.

For example, I own a 8-channel mixer, but it sends the stereo mix to the computer, so recording multiple (separate) tracks at once is not allowed. With your interface, it should be possible.

1 Like

@inteferon: 10 tracks via USB1 is not going to work. USB2 support is close to non-existing for audio devices on linux at this time (there is no standard - every device needs its own more or less unique device driver).

Depends on the Mixer. And considering yours is USB I have a feeling the answer is going to be no, but as I mentioned it depends on your mixer/interface.

Ardour and Jack are completely capable of this though. Some of us do this often with 40+ tracks from live shows.

Seablade

Right, as Paul said, the device has to be fully supported under Linux for that kind of work.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I found this on the Alesis website: "USB 1.1 Stereo input/Output for PC (Windows XP or Vista) and Mac (OS X). " (it works fine with Linux also even though it isn’t listed) so I guess it won’t work.

99% of the time the mixer I have will work perfect for me because, like I said, I usually play alone and overdub. For future reference though, what kind of mixers should I look into to be able to split the tracks? I’m using a laptop so it doesn’t have a fancy sound card which is why I chose USB for this mixer.

Personally I would probably recommend doing a dedicated mixer(If you even need a mixer, many times these days an interface with a DSP mixer will suffice just fine), and a separate dedicated interface that you pull from Direct Outs of the mixer into. The mixers with interface capabilities built in that work on Linux are few and far between with the exceptions of the USB1 capabilities you already have, and the Mackie Onyx(Not the i-series, at least not till I get a chance to check and see if I can get it working with FFADO, it is unknown as far as I know at this time). There are slight chances that some other options like the A&H Zed R series might work(IIRC they advertise JetPLL which is one calling card of FFADO compatibility, but not a guarantee), but don’t hold your breath, you would be much better off going with the combination above to ensure compatibility.

Seablade

I realize this thread is a bit old, but I’m interested in the same topic. I have the newer version of that Alesis USB interface, running Mac OSX and I am able to record two different channels at the same time (each to a different track) in Garageband, so the ability to do so on the mixer is there. I think the mixer is limited to two channels only though (even though it is an 8 channel mixer). Is there a way to assign channels to specific tracks in Ardour?

http://en.flossmanuals.net/ardour/ch023_recording-audio/

Seablade

I understand that work on USB 2.0 drivers would have needed to be done and the Alesis Multi-Mix line of mixers would need to be compliant. Does anyone know if it is now possible to use these Alesis Multi-Mix products with Ardour to record up to 16 tracks at a time?

I realize this is an old thread and the mods might request for me to start another new thread.

ALSA has provided support for USB Audio Class 2 for a while now. If the Alesis is class compliant, then perhaps it will work. Unfortunately I can not say for certain.

I found this product release which suggests that the Multimix products may be compliant.

http://www.alesis.com/content229330

Hope that helps.

im not sure if i should post here or start a new thread but i have a question about multi tracking as well.

i have installed a " m audio Audiophile 192 - High-Definition 4-In/4-Out Audio Card with Digital I/O and MIDI" in my desktop. i am running ubuntu studio 12.04. i have been recording and using multiple tracks for overdubs while only recording one track at a time. i am starting to record the whole band playing together and want to put each instrument and vocal on a separate track. can i do this with my current setup or will i have to add a mixer to run the individual instruments through.

If four inputs is sufficient then you should be able to use the Audiophile 192. Otherwise you will need something with more inputs.

TO keep things less complicated, I would recommend using a multi-track audio interface rather than a mixer. You can do all your mixing within Ardour.

A reasonable number of audio interfaces are completely supported in Linux, some are partially supported, others not at all.

The best thing to do is to browse over the ALSA (pci / pcie and usb audio) and FFADO (firewire audio) to determine which devices have the best Linux support, before committing to a purchase.