MOTU 828mkII MIDI issues

I’ve been using a MOTU 828mkII on both a desktop and laptop running Linux Mint 19.3 with a 4.15 low latency kernel, and audio has been working great. The issue I’m having is that Jack crashes with an unhandled xrun within 8-10 seconds of starting the ALSA midi bridge in Cadence or via the terminal. I don’t normally use the bridge while tracking, but I have a keyboard / percussion controller that I’d like to be able to use with Ardour. I confirmed that the controller and MIDI bridge work great with the integrated sound (Intel PCH) on the laptop, but no luck with the 828 on either computer. I’ve tried searching everywhere I can find, and I’ve tried different sample rates from 44.1-96k as well as buffer settings from 64 on up to 2048. Jack seems to crash with exactly the same issue every time.

If any of the logs would be helpful, please let me know. I’m also willing to try just about anything in terms of configuration to get this to work. Lastly if nothing else will work, I guess I need a new interface.

Did you try just using Ardour’s own ALSA audio/MIDI backend instead of JACK?

Thanks Paul. I had tried that previously without success, but it works and I’m able to send MIDI using my controller via the 828’s MIDI out. Unfortunately I loose JACK transport and routing as well as having to run far higher latency.

Since this configuration works, would it shed any light on changes I’d need to make to my JACK settings?

I have it working in JACK using the ALSA driver now without the bridge. I’ve also noticed that JACK only crashes when using the FFADO driver and the midi bridge when set to hardware export. Do I need to do additional ALSA config somewhere?

At the very least I have a viable work-around now where I can use the ALSA driver with its higher latency when working on MIDI, and the FFADO driver when tracking.

Thanks again!

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.