Mixer strip width customization

Hi dear Ardour community,

I’m looking at a way to customize (adjust) the mixer’s strips width. Right now, the strips are a little narrower than the physical strips on my FP8.

To provide a bit of context, I built a mixer/workstation based on Ardour and I’m looking at a way to align (as much as possible, doesn’t have to be perfect when scrolling through the strips) the strips with my controller.

I’ve looked a bit through this forum, the documentation and the only way of achieving this right now is by adjusting the UI font scaling, but I don’t want to “zoom” the mixer interface, just want the strips a bit wider (doesn’t even have to be adjustable via a slider in the preferences, could be a value in a file).

Thinking a bit further, I’m wondering if the themes could be an option. Is it possible to set the strips width via a theme ?

Don’t think it’s the way to go, but, is is something that could be set via a lua script ?

If neither of those 2 previous points can be leveraged, I would consider looking into the codebase to propose a pull request with a slider in the preference to adjust the strips width (if it’s something that can be considered as valuable by the community). (yeah, I know, I mention I don’t need a slider, but if it comes to a contribution, it should at least be user friendly and properly integrated in Ardour)

Thanks for your help and thoughts.

That is a very nice setup you have there!

No, currently the value is set when building Ardour from source:

Thanks Robin for your quick reply.
And thanks for pointing me out directly to where it’s managed. I’ll look into the best way to add an adjustable width and suggest a PR then.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.